Navision 3.56 and PHP communication

tom2377tom2377 Member Posts: 2
edited 2009-05-29 in Navision DOS
Hi there,

I have this situation:
Navision 3.56 database in two files with no extension. Now I need the data to be converted into preferably mySQL database to use it in a PHP web application.
Also there should be regular updates of the mySQL db with new data from Navision db.

Im really confused about how to access the Navision and query it. I understand from the documentation that there is some Application Language that can be used to do that but surely there are some ways (tools) to do it right?

I would very much appreciate any ideas on how to carry this out.

Comments

• mirkomirko Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tom

You can write reports in Navision which generates SQL-commands for mySQL.
    Below is a very simple example of an output from a Navision report

Lines 1-6 is the output from the header section of the repoprt
    Here a database with 3 fields is created

Lines 7-11 (from 1. record i Navision) enters data into the first record of the mySQL database

Lines 12-16 (from 2. record i Navision) enters data into the second record of the mySQL database
    etc.
    I hope you can se how easy it is to create reports for any data you need from Navision

Example:
    =======
    CREATE TABLE `PROD` (
    `prodno` varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
    `price` mediumint(9) default '0',
    `desc` varchar(60) default NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (`prodno`)
    ) TYPE=MyISAM;
    INSERT INTO `PROD` VALUES (
    'ADQ4S14PCI',
    'A/D converter 4 kanal 2 MHz 14 bit + I/O'
    );
    INSERT INTO `PROD` VALUES (
    'ADQ4S14PCI-E',
    'A/D converter 4 kanal, 3 MHz,14 bit,I/O, PCI express'
    );
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    tom2377 wrote:
    Hi there,

I have this situation:
    Navision 3.56 database in two files with no extension. Now I need the data to be converted into preferably mySQL database to use it in a PHP web application.
    Also there should be regular updates of the mySQL db with new data from Navision db.

Im really confused about how to access the Navision and query it. I understand from the documentation that there is some Application Language that can be used to do that but surely there are some ways (tools) to do it right?

I would very much appreciate any ideas on how to carry this out.

Hi Tom,

Firstly is this a one off? I.e. do you just need to get the data out for a one off scenario to use in your web app, or do you need to get the data updated on a regular basis.

If its a one off, then you can just import the backup into a NAV (windows) database on SQL, and then just use SQL to extract the data.

If you need this regularly, then to read the data you could use C/FRONT or C/ODBC C font basically gives you a C++ library of functions that allow you to connect direct to the database. The other option is ODBC. BUT to use either of these you need a license, and its no longer possible to purchase licenses for 3.56.

In that case if you don't have either a ODBC or C/FRONT license you will have to export the data, probably using an Export.

Anyway post some more information about what you want and lets see if we can help you.

PS I originally distributed the DOS version of Navision in Czechoslovakia, so I may have to dig up some old history, but I am sure I can get the information you need.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    tom2377 wrote:

Sorry, some how I missed that, so moving the data to a windows SQL database is not really an option.
    David Singleton
  • ktvallentinktvallentin Member Posts: 3
    Hi there.

A danish company named "Swwwing" made a "navision.dll" for PHP back around 1994 or 1995. When including this into your PHP code you gained access to Navision commands directly in your PHP. Naturally you had to access the Navision server through a login and the login had to exist in the database with a minimum of read access to the tables but then you could use several Navision functions externally in you PHP programming. This includes (naturally) reading data from Navision and inserting them into i.e. MySQL.

I don't have the "navision.dll" available, but try searching for Swwwing or "navision.dll" for PHP ... you might get lucky.