Changing Descriptions using language dependent captions

KaetchenKaetchen Member Posts: 106
Hi,

We normally use language English (NZ), but now we operating in Fiji and need to use English (US).

In NZ we call the goods and service tax "GST" in Fiji it's called "VAT".

To change the screen display for Fiji we changed the language to ENU and
amended the GST Tables to:
ENU=VAT;ENZ=GST

This is all fine, but now all forms, subforms and tables including fields with GST descriptions need to be changed.

Is there an easier way to do this automatically? How can I find out which objects contain GST fields?

Thanks in advance,
Kaetchen

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    create a new form using the wizard, select "field" as source table. add all the fields run the form, filter on Name field for *GST*
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Kaetchen wrote:
    Hi,

We normally use language English (NZ), but now we operating in Fiji and need to use English (US).

In NZ we call the goods and service tax "GST" in Fiji it's called "VAT".

Have you tried just using the GB English, where it is also called vat.
    David Singleton
  • KaetchenKaetchen Member Posts: 106
    create a new form using the wizard, select "field" as source table. add all the fields run the form, filter on Name field for *GST

Worked fine - found 300 fields - often with the same field name.

Just out of curiousity : Why do I have to change GST Bus Posting Group 50 times in each form and subform. Should it not refer back to the source field name?

No I haven't. We have only ENU and ENZ on our system. What is the default language in Navision?
    All the GST related fields seem to be hardcoded for NZ, so only way to use "CAPTIONML" is to enter manually the alternative name.
    I saw that in the help menu GST is called VAT. The Navision Partner who implemented Navision must have done a major coding job :-k
    You should only need to change it at field level. The forms should grab it from table but have not tested this. If it doesn't work Instead of adding the captionML, I would rather use CaptionClass. You only modify CU 1 to grab the field caption dynamically, just like dimensions.

The default language is ENU.

In North american they've changed the all (LCY) field caption to ($).

I personally think, that the caption shouldn't part of the objects, but rather the data should reside in a caption table. And at runtime navision would grab the caption if it exists.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Kaetchen wrote:

No I haven't. We have only ENU and ENZ on our system. What is the default language in Navision?

You should just try the GB text. Also you could try W1, I think its VAT there also.
    David Singleton
    personally think, that the caption shouldn't part of the objects, but rather the data should reside in a caption table. And at runtime navision would grab the caption if it exists.

I totally agree...
    I've seen worse ... Software Companies who hardcoded the VAT Value in the customised solutions (not Navision).

I also will try to install the GB language feature... although I can't see the logic #-o
    I have problems installing language modul GB.

Our license says:
    Version NZ 3.01. A (3.70)

I couldn't find Language GB in Downloads Mibuso for 3.70.

Anybody knows where I could get it from?

Thanks!

Also you could try W1, I think its VAT there also.
    David Singleton
    Sorry, but what is W1
    the world wide version of Navision. If you look at any objects you'll see in version list

Something like this
    NAVW14.00.01,NAVNA4.00

NAVW1 is the world version and NAVNA is North American version
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Kaetchen wrote:
    Sorry, but what is W1

If you look at your Install CD< you should have the install files for W1. In there is a Database, which is what Navision use as the base for all translations. Grab that Database, and its language files, because you should be able to run that with any countries license file.
    David Singleton
    Hey thanks guys for your help!

We will install this company on Navision 4.0
    It seems our current Navision Version causes a lot of problems.

Our Navision Partner says that we haven't installed any "hot fixes" - I assume this are sort of service packs to eliminate known problems.

However we never used "multilanguage" or "multicurrency" before so weren't concerned.
  • NewbiesNewbies Member Posts: 5
    Kaetchen wrote:
    Hey thanks guys for your help!

We will install this company on Navision 4.0
    It seems our current Navision Version causes a lot of problems.

Our Navision Partner says that we haven't installed any "hot fixes" - I assume this are sort of service packs to eliminate known problems.

However we never used "multilanguage" or "multicurrency" before so weren't concerned.

Hi Kaetchen,

we are currently facing the same issue too but the only difference is that we want GST instead of VAT and we are currently using W1. Do you mind to share whether install other languages do solve your problem? Thanks.
    Hi,

That's a long time ago... I changed companies since then and work with NAV 2009 now.
    With NAV2009 I just checked and you only have to change "Language" under TOOLS (Classic Client) to English (United States) and the system will use VAT instead of GST. Therefore I believe that changing the language will solve the problem. We use GST and this is English (New Zealand).

Regards,
    Stefanie