Navision Licenses and Connections via SQL

kaybeekaybee Member Posts: 49
Hi, we have a web-based system which connects directly to our Navision server via a SQL connection using C#. How are licenses distributed when we do this? Is a new license used everytime a connection is opened?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If it is connecting directly to the SQL database it doesn't use a license...but that doesn't mean you're not required the purchase DCO users under your license agreement.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Since 1st September there are new types of license for this types of access named Microsoft Dynamics Light User, Microsoft Dynamics Employee Self Service User and Microsoft Dynamics Limited Device CAL. Search on PrtnerSource for more info about when to use which license.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    Hi Kine,

Could you tell me whether NAV Light User can do a transaction in NAV database like create, update, print ? Thanks
    Best regards,

Johanna
    they can do what the used application will allows them. The "Light user" is user accessing NAV data outside standard NAV client (e.g. through excel, 3rd party application etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    they can do what the used application will allows them. The "Light user" is user accessing NAV data outside standard NAV client (e.g. through excel, 3rd party application etc.).

Thanks Kine. So, if using NAV Light User, users cannot do anything in Classic Client and RTC, they just can do anything through web ui, sharepoint, office, third party application. If using sharepoint, whether I can create SO or posting SO ? Thanks.
    Best regards,

Johanna
    You cannot by default, it must allow you some application which will e.g. use webservices to do that... the light user is just license allowing access from outside, not limiting anything, you are limited by the implementation of the access...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I came across the following the other day when reviewing documents on licensing:

"Users who access the Microsoft Dynamics solution through the Microsoft Dynamics rich client UI and through other means (while not logged into the rich client UI) require both a Full User license and a Light User license. "

I had always thought that a user with a Full User license was ok to access NAV via any method. Apparently that is not correct.

(also there's the whole separate issue of SQL licensing)
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Yes,it is common misunderstanding, but it is logical - NAV sessions are concurrent sessions - who "own" the one specific session? The one who is logged in right now in NAV client? You cannot answer that correctly, thus, anyone with access to the NAV from outside NAV client must have per named user license - Light user license... :wink:

Example:

1 session in NAV license

User A and User B are working with NAV.
    Because license limit, only A xor B could be logged in.
    When the "who have fulll license, could access from outside too" predicate is true, who can access the data from Excel? UserA or UserB? (you have only one session - one user can access the data...). This is why the predicate is false... :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine,

How to upload license of light user? How the system know that the user A is not included in light user license? Thanks..
    Best regards,

Johanna
    There is no technical side of the license. It is "just paper" but you must have it...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kine,

1. How Navision can detect the number of light user who is login on the NAV Application? For example: If customer only buy 10 licenses and users who access NAV application (using web service) is more than 10, what will happen?

2. How the light user license limit the light user session?
    Best regards,

Johanna
    Once again, read what I wrote... there is no "light user license" other than paper saying that you can use x light users. There is no checking mechanism in the system. It is same like when you are buying SQL CALs or other CALs. They are based on "fair use" policy...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Okay, thanks again Kine :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    Can lightuser be able to update nav 2013 r2 table data ?
    Now or Never
    Hijacking 3 years old post? ;-)

There is no light user in NAV 2013... only limited user, and it has no direct rights on MS SQL...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Limited users have the capability to execute the validate table's trigger to update(indirectly) other table's data in one shot ??
    Now or Never
    Directly or indirectly, does not matter. Limited user can change 3 tables per session, some tables cannot change at all (Tab 17) and some tables are not counted into these 3 (comments, change log etc.). See licensing document...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks for the reply.

Does limited user can be able to call any codeunit(Mail) ?
    Now or Never
    Have you read the licensing documentation? Have you tried to find the info already? ;-)
    From MSDN pages:
    • Limited User

Limited User licenses provide users full read, but limited write, capabilities to all of the licensed solution functionality through any and all modes of access including the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client. The Limited User license is designed to give customers a lower-cost alternative for extending ERP to users who only require limited access to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV application:

◦ Read access to data contained in the solution through any client accessing the application, including but not limited to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client, the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web client, and web services.

◦ Write access to a maximum of three application tables in the object range 0 – 99,999,999 other than the General Ledger Entry table, through any client accessing the application. Access to the General Ledger Entry Table requires a Full User license.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.