NAV 5.0 SQL vs. ODBC

OldNavDogOldNavDog Member Posts: 88
Hi, Experts!

I have a NAV 5.0 SP1 SQL-based Installation running on a 64-bit Server 2008 R2 backend that I am trying to set-up the NAV ODBC Driver, but to no avail.

It seems like the Driver Setup gives lip-service to working with a Server-Based Database; but it really DOESN'T (???)

Everything goes fine on the Driver Install and launching (through WoW64) the 32-bit ODBC setup "Console".

BUT, when I try to create a System (or User) DSN to NAV, as soon as I place a Server Name into the appropriate Field, the "Database" Field becomes un-editable.

I have tried all manner of ways to "phrase" the "Server Name" (the SQL Server is not only in the same Domain, it is on the same physical Server). "servername" (only), "servername.local", "domain\servername", IP Address, you-name-it, I've probably tried it.

I have read that this is sometimes caused by a "Allow Remote Connections" Property not being set on the Database in SQL Server; but this is not one of the "Express" versions of SQL Server, so I don't think that even applies (nor can I find that Property in SQL Management Studio).

HELP!
Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. --Anon.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    when you say "NAV ODBC Driver" are you trying to install N/ODBC?

if you are on SQL just use the ODBC that comes with it.

N/ODBC is for the native database
  • OldNavDogOldNavDog Member Posts: 88
    Thanx!

But holy God! Why even HAVE (and discuss, however briefly) a "Server" field in the NODBC Driver???

Sigh.

One sentence left out of documentation == 10 wasted hours researching and experimenting...

:x

Thanks again, though. I can see where you would be right... :roll:
    Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. --Anon.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    OldNavDog wrote:
    Thanx!

But holy God! Why even HAVE (and discuss, however briefly) a "Server" field in the NODBC Driver??? ...

Because N/ODBC does work with a database server. Just not with SQL Server.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142