Options

Can you Test and trap for ADO SQL Open connection fail?

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi,

There are numerous posts here on how to create an ADO SQL connection. The general syntax is to define a variable of type "Automation" and subtype "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects...", then

ADOConn.Create

then

ADOConn.Open(ConnectionString); //ConnectionString is the text of the connection string.

When the OPEN works successfully, of course there's no problem. However, when the connection fails, a "modal" error message is displayed. Here's a sample error:

This message is for C/AL programmers:

The call to member Open failed. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server returned the following message:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

My question is:

Is there a way to TRAP for a failed connection, so that my C/AL code can handle the error? The ADOConn.Open does not return a value directly.

DotNet-related articles on this subject refer to "try/catch" techniques (not available in C/AL) and additional return codes (adstate) AFTER the Open command. The problem is this "modal" error message that just causes the code to fail.

Has anyone figured out a way to test for a valid SQL connection in C/AL Code (doesn't have to be ADO)?

Thanks
Ron

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    You need to run your code in a codeunit.

Call the Codeunit like this.

If YourCodeunit.run then

Success

else
    Message('failed');
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Hi Rashed,

This ALMOST works. It turns out that if you are updating the database, you cannot use an "IF CODEUNIT.RUN..." in the middle of a write transaction. But it DOES avoid the "modal" error message. I'll keep you posted.
    Ron
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yes, it has to be a new transaction. you need to change the code.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n