Item was received in One Dimension n was sold frm another

Milind4u86Milind4u86 Member Posts: 9
Hi ,
I am Facing a issue where in Item was received in X business segment(Dimension) and was sold in from another say Y .It is causing Mismatch in P&L at Business segment level.Now I am not sure its a bug or not.Accounts team feels its a bug.
If its not a bug how can I stop it from happening?
If its a bug what can I do to fix.

Kindly Help!!
Thanks,

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    It is not a bug. Your system has apparently been setup to allow any dimension value on that item. To prevent this, define a default dimension value on the item and set it to "Same Code". Then the item will only accept postings with that value.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Milind4u86Milind4u86 Member Posts: 9
    Same Item can received and sold under different Business segments. So I guess I cant use Same Code.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    That is going to create some additional challenges for you. Such as how will you insure the outbound entries are only applied to inbound entries with the same dimensions? One way would be to lot track the item, and assign a unique lot for each purchase. The select the lots for sales based on the purchase's dimensions.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi Milind4u86,

what do you want to achieve? Reporting by LOB? Even then purchasing wlith one Dimension set and selling with some other would be possible. Or do you want to "trace" where the purchase has been used? That would be something different, modt of this information is there, but you would need to collect it with a separate batch (and a few buffer tables, probably). Therefore the question what is intended.

with best regards

Jens
  • Milind4u86Milind4u86 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Jens,

User is facing difficulty in reporting i.e. Acc Schedule were Dr Cr is not matching for a Biz segment(Dimension) since the item was bought in one biz segment and sold in another.

Thanks,
    Milind.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi Milind,
    Milind4u86 wrote:
    User is facing difficulty in reporting i.e. Acc Schedule were Dr Cr is not matching for a Biz segment(Dimension) since the item was bought in one biz segment and sold in another.
    That's normal business, right? Do you have goods ownership by segment? In this case you would need to:
    - ensure that you can only sell / consume items that belong to this segment, with it's code
    - have the item application accordingly. Like bbrown already asked :)
    These requirements can severely complicate the handling of the business workflow in NAV, and it can lead to limitations that will not be accepted by the business. In short, you can't set this up in standard NAV. Dimensions are not strict enough for this, and item application / transaction balance is not maintained by dimension combination. It simply isn't. To make NAV do it is quite a coding task. I would not recommend to do it this way.
    We have a similar requirement, but solved it differently. We can do postings by permanent establishment - meaning we get a balance sheet and profit & loss statement by permanent establishment. The logic ensures that all postings are balanced by permanent establishment code, and adds transfer postings on an arbitration account if required. This way we can do a reporting by PE.
    AX has this functionality built in by defaut, BTW.

with best regards

Jens