NAV hangs when compiling a 2009 SP1 object in 2009 R2

mattkmattk Member Posts: 11
Hi All,

I had a database with NAV 2009 SP1 build 32029 on it and tried upgrading it by copying over the files for 2009 R2 Build 32012.

The database converted and I can open Classic and RTC. But when trying to design or compile certain reports NAV just hangs. The event viewer does not provide any useful information either.

I tried restoring the old DB, exporting the reports and importing them into the new DB, but NAV hangs on import (presumably when compiling the objects). I also tried importing the SP1 objects into a standard R2 database but the same thing happens. Importing R2 standard objects into the new DB does work though (however I lose the customisations).

What's strange is that most reports work and that this is only happening on a few. I cannot see any pattern between the problematic reports.

Any ideas?

Comments

• mattkmattk Member Posts: 11
    I've gone through all the reports and there are 13 which are causing problems (not compiling/cannot design). Some of these reports are completely custom and some are standard reports which have been modified.

I tried exporting the reports and importing/recompiling in a newer build and they worked. So I tried exporting them again from the new build and importing back into 32012 but they still won't work. So it seems some sort of customization in these reports is preventing them from working only in build 32012.

Next step is going to be to merge the customized reports with standard using a text editor to see if that sheds any light on the matter.

Any ideas which customizations might be affecting these reports?
  • mattkmattk Member Posts: 11
    I managed to solve the issue!

I manually merged the modified reports from 2009 SP1 with the standard reports from 2009 R2 to look for anything strange.

I noticed that the modified reports had Captions for both ENU and ENG. During the upgrade procedure I had some problems with the .stx files in the ENU and ENG folders (in the Classic folder) so I thought that removing one of the captions might solve it. So I removed the ENG captions, imported the objects into the updated R2 database and they compiled!

I still don't understand why this happened. There are other modified reports with both ENU and ENG captions which work fine. Moreover, these 'broken' reports worked in older builds and more recent builds, just not in 2009 R2 32012. Glad I managed to get things working, but if anyone has any idea what the reason behind all this was please share! My best guess is that something went wrong with the .stx files when upgrading.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    The most recent build for 2009R2 is 34087.
    Looks like you went with the earliest build.
    Along the way they did fix some platform issues which may have been the cause of your problem.

When you "upgrade", it is usually better to go with the most recent build.