No. of logged users exceed licensed

lubostlubost Member Posts: 611
Hi, guys
Customer has licensed 10+1 user in its license file. Some users can log into NAV in case of licensed numberof users is already logged in. In that case there are more logged users then licensed. Some users can not log in with error "Your license file does not allow ....".
NAV 5.0 SP1
SQL 2008 Standard with trace flag 4616 set.

What's wrong? What's the solution?

Comments

• ftorneroftornero Member Posts: 522
    This is a known issue with that configuration.

Is a permissions problem.

Check the SQL permissions of those users that can't log and set the same to the users that can.

Regards.
  • lubostlubost Member Posts: 611
    Thank you for your reply.

All users has server role: public and in database mapping: db_owner and public.
    NAV Security model: Enhanced

Three users can repeately log in into NAV in case of full license
    Actual sessions: 16
    Licensed sessions: 11

Some other permissions?
    Is strange, can you set the server role processadmin to the users that can log when there is not licences available ?

Regards
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Users should never be DB_Owner in the database. That grants them complete unrestricted access to the database. The only users that need DB_Owner are those making schema changes (as in new tables etc) or those involved in other DB maintenance activity. Which should be a very tightly controlled group in a live environment.

Also strongly recommend switching to Standard Security. Unless you have a specific reason for using Enhanced. Enhanced tend to be more trouble than it's worth. Beside, since every one is DB_Owner what that security doing anyways?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Thanks for replies,

db_owner role has users only due to NAV history in that company (technological upgrade from NAV 4). This can be removed, but I think that it's not reason of discussed strange behavior.
    We already granted VIEW SERVER STATE, but no luck. Some users still can log in over licensed sessions.

I hope you could help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
    Have you tested the server role processadmin that I said before ?

Regards.
    Sorry for late post. Yes, we tested ProcessAdmin role, but no luck. We obtained information from MS, that there are no way to limit session in NAV 5.0 SP1.
    Thanks all for help solving problem.
  • TrippyZTrippyZ Member Posts: 87
    If you run SQL Profiler whilst having a 'no problem' user logon, then have a 'with problem' user logon, you will capture the SQL that is used for the logged on user count.

If you then execute in SQL Server, whilst authenticated as those users, you will be able to clarify the nature of the problem.

Personally, I recommend you switch to standard security, create a new user, and compare this new users access in SQL Studio to the problem ones.

Chris
    Professional Navision Developer