Problems with µ in NAV 2015

guenterguenter Member Posts: 3
Hi,

we have some problems with a migration from CC to NAV 2015 with Units of Measures. Our customer uses the character µ in the Code Field for measurement. No problem in classic client but a huge one in NAV 2015. Instead of µ we will get a Capital M to display. The same result we get when we use the CAL command UPPERCASE for the text 'µ'. In the SQL tables there are still the original characters (µ). So no conversion was done.

Do anyone know that problem or have a solution/workaround for that?

Thanks for any answer :)

Comments

• vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

This is strange because since the version NAV 2013 , Dynamics NAV fully supports Unicode characters.
    Previous versions e.g. NAV 2009 R2 did not support Unicode so all characters outside ASCII would be presented with some replacements.
    I did some testing in my NAV 2015 database and if I type in "µ" in any field it works perfectly.

What I suspect is that in NAV Classic client the character "µ" was represented by a replacement ASCIi code which does not exist in UNicode any-more. Hence the issue.
    You can create a report or codeunit just to convert this old Capital M into correct value "µ".

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • guenterguenter Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for reply, vremeni4!

After further investigations we found out that the M is not the "normal" M, but it is the uppercase letter from the greek letter µ which has a different Unicode. Because the field in the table is type CODE all characters will be uppercased.

The only solution we found was to convert the µ to a synonym in german language MÜ. It works...

Regards
  • Gollum83Gollum83 Member Posts: 19
    The problem is getting bigger if the Code field where the µ exists, is in the primary key. In NAV 2015 the record cannot be renamed or deleted. I had to to make a data conversion in sql:

USE [DatabaseXY]
    UPDATE [COMPANYNAME$TABLENAME] SET [FIELDXY] = REPLACE([FIELDXY], (Select NChar(181)), (Select NChar(924)))
    WHERE [FIELDXY] LIKE '%' + (Select NChar(181)) + '%'

And it's getting really funny if a lot of other tables have relations to this field.
    I hope this issue will be fixed by Microsoft.