Class v. Book?

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
I have been to the two development classes and, much like in college, found that they taught directly from the book and didn't really have any additional insight that I couldn't have gotten from the training material.

Do you think it's worth it to go to the classes if you have all of the training material? I don't want to waste my time or money. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    It depends if you're a class room learner or self-study learner.

For me, I learn better in a classroom environment rather than reading from books.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    The whole point of classes is to ask questions that left unclear to you after you have read yourself all the available materials.
    If the lecturers cant answer them then it is usually not worth to attend.
  • David_CoxDavid_Cox Member Posts: 509
    My first time of even seeing Navision back in 1996 was at a Navision development course, and I would say not being one for studying the manual, a practical hands on view was worth more hour for hour than any manual.

It really depends on you as a person, "horses for courses" some will get more from the manuals others from the hands on approach, how often have you read a technical passage in a document that in practice could be explained so much more clearer.

Navisions help is a prime example, the samples are not real world and often confuse by to many scenarios, rather than giving real practical solutions.

Look at DELCHR removing "ws" where most of us are looking to remove, Quotes, Comma's and Spaces from text strings for Importing or Exporting, where in real life would you want to remove "ws" ?

The two strings are shown in the message window as:
    >Windy Solutions<, is transformed to: >indy Solution<
    :lol: :shock:

David

David
    Analyst Developer with over 17 years Navision, Contract Status - Busy
    Mobile: +44(0)7854 842801
    Email: david.cox@adeptris.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Adeptris
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    As for Developer - I think it's better selfstudying using manuals and practice. Moreover - it's not such type of programming to be explained by lecturer. (For the Financials - class thing is better)
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    matttrax wrote:
    taught directly from the book
    What's wrong with that?
    matttrax wrote:
    didn't really have any additional insight that I couldn't have gotten from the training material.
    That's not because it's a bad teaching method. Either the training material is really good, or the trainer is not very good. Either way, there should be a good connection between the class and the training material.
    matttrax wrote:
    Do you think it's worth it to go to the classes if you have all of the training material?
    Yes for sure, but if you are expecting more than the topics in the training material, you have to ask questions.

Personally I get annoyed when I receive training material and the class is about something else. I want the class to follow the training material. I find it a source of great irritation when the teacher goes off on things not in the book, because then I try to keep up with notes, I miss half of what they're saying, and when I get back to my office I don't have any reference material to fall back on. The trainer is there to explain, so if you don't understand what he's saying then ask questions.
  • mailnavmailnav Member Posts: 3
    Is there any self-training book kit for certification exmas of NAV 4/5?

Thank you much
    Hello,
    You can order such books from MS. 1 book price approx. 50E (60$?!?)
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
    Hello,
    You can order such books from MS. 1 book price approx. 50E (60$?!?)
    Br,
    Igor Beeone

Can you give me the link or books' name?
    Hello,
    8324 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Introduction
    8363 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Relationship Management
    8365 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Service Management
    8366 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Business Notification
    8387 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Warehouse Management
    8390 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Inventory Management
    8401 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Development II - C/SIDE Solution Development
    8421 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Commerce Portal
    8423 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Commerce Gateway
    8424 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Job Costing
    8357 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Fixed Assets
    8358 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Resources and Jobs
    8359B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Development I - C/SIDE Introduction
    8360B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing I
    8361B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing II
    8362 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Trade
    8384 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Financials I
    8388B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Inventory Costing
    8389B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing Costing
    8404C Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Installation and Configuration
    8405 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Financials II
    8422 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Business Analytics
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
    Hello,
    8324 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Introduction
    8363 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Relationship Management
    8365 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Service Management
    8366 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Business Notification
    8387 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Warehouse Management
    8390 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Inventory Management
    8401 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Development II - C/SIDE Solution Development
    8421 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Commerce Portal
    8423 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Commerce Gateway
    8424 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Job Costing
    8357 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Fixed Assets
    8358 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Resources and Jobs
    8359B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Development I - C/SIDE Introduction
    8360B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing I
    8361B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing II
    8362 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Trade
    8384 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Financials I
    8388B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Inventory Costing
    8389B Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Manufacturing Costing
    8404C Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Installation and Configuration
    8405 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Financials II
    8422 Microsoft® Business Solutions - Navision® 4.0 Business Analytics
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
    Wow, how prompt response you take; however, these materials you provided are class collections which I can't buy without attend courses.

I just wonder if there are some self-training kit.
    Hello,
    Microsoft Registered Partners cannot order hard-copy training materials for Microsoft Dynamics directly from Microsoft training material distributors, but may order training materials through a Microsoft Certified Partner for Learning Solutions.
    Microsoft Certified and Gold Certified Partners

Hard-copy training materials for Microsoft Dynamics can be ordered directly by Microsoft Certified and Gold Certified Partners. View the United States and Canada Training Material List (Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet) to find titles before ordering.
    Search here: https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
    I have no idea of another way getting these materials.
    Hope it helps.
    Br,
    Igor Beeone[/b]
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You don't have to attend any training to purchase the manuals. You do have to get your solution center to order them from you. If you don't have a solution center, you can contact Microsoft directly.

The whole e-learning thing is always changing though, you might even be able to get them for free from your solution center, based on the level of support you have with them.

The important thing here is to call your solution center and ask them about it.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If you have a customersource account every book is available, even on the minimum service plan. It takes a little digging to find them, but they are there.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    matttrax wrote:
    If you have a customersource account every book is available, even on the minimum service plan. It takes a little digging to find them, but they are there.

Digging is the issue.

Any chance you could post some links in customer source or partner source where these are.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:
    www.elementk.com

Your search for "dynamics" and "NAV" returned the following:

Nothing found. Common words (like the and or of) are ignored except when part of an exact match phrase. If all words are ignored a search may not be performed. Try to use more specific words or phrases or use single word searches and browse the returned list.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Alex Chow wrote:
    www.elementk.com

Your search for "dynamics" and "NAV" returned the following:

Nothing found. Common words (like the and or of) are ignored except when part of an exact match phrase. If all words are ignored a search may not be performed. Try to use more specific words or phrases or use single word searches and browse the returned list.

You have to search for the courseware number instead of just the name.

It's a bug in their system I think.