Options

Dataset return extra field for decimal column

cesabocesabo Member Posts: 20
edited 2015-03-20 in NAV Three Tier
Hello there,

Just saw, that if i have 1 decimal column in the report, the Visual Studio dataset_result show the original field + 1 extra formated field, any idea why or anyone know how to remove that field ?

Comments

• Options
    geordiegeordie Member Posts: 655
    It's used to forward the numeric format from NAV to the RDLC report layout, to avoid hardcoding it.
    Looking at a whatever standard report you will notice in the layout that for numeric fields the Format property is evaluated in the following way:
    =Fields!Amount_GLEntryFormat.Value

• Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Do you have any idea is there any way to remove this format, because the dataset become bigger and there is a risk of "out of visual memory error" ?
  • Options
    cesabo wrote:
    Thanks for the answer.

Do you have any idea is there any way to remove this format, because the dataset become bigger and there is a risk of "out of visual memory error" ?

You need to have in the dataset designer the field already converted in string with a FORMAT function.
    We are anyway talking about a very small amount of data even for reports with a high number of rows: usually out of memory exceptions are caused by images fields not cleared and repeated N times in the dataset.
  • Options
    geordie wrote:
    cesabo wrote:
    Thanks for the answer.

You need to have in the dataset designer the field already converted in string with a FORMAT function.
    We are anyway talking about a very small amount of data even for reports with a high number of rows: usually out of memory exceptions are caused by images fields not cleared and repeated N times in the dataset.

I agree with the images and the loop for them. But we have reports with huge amount of data only (without any images) and the report crash with "out of visual memory". The report is simple, with like 4 datasets and no more then 30 columns, but most of the columns are decimal. That's why i am wondering is there anyway to remove those extra FORMAT fields from the dataset.
  • Options
    Jan_VeenendaalJan_Veenendaal Member Posts: 206
    Hi, ( as Geordie suggested above: ) as a work-around you could of course do the formatting in NAV already, put the formatted value in a text-variable and use that variable in your dataset.
    Only thing is then to make sure that in your report the data is usable as decimal value, but I assume that will not be a problem.
    Jan Veenendaal
  • Options
    Some tips about RDLC performance improvement by NAV team here, including the refactoring of decimals.