Options

NAV2009 Debugger files on client computer?

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
edited 2010-02-04 in NAV Three Tier
I got this site from a Microsoft blog about debugging in NAV2009 RTC:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301071.aspx

The walkthrough seems to only allow the debugging to be run on the server that has the service running.

If I'm working in a client/server environment, how do I get the C# files on the client computer so I can debug from the client computer without taking extra resources from the server?

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you can extract the c# files yourself from Object Metadata from "user code" blob field. When attaching the service, you'll need to connect to the computer where the service tier is running and select the NAV service.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    If you want to debug - you need to be on the Service Tier - you can get the C# files to view as mentioned - but debugging is on the service tier AND REMEMBER, when you debug a servicetier - you will debug ALL users using that service tier.

You could just copy the service tier directory from the server to your local machine (in effect setup a new service tier with one user) and debug that.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    freddy.dk wrote:
    You could just copy the service tier directory from the server to your local machine (in effect setup a new service tier with one user) and debug that.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Haven't thought about setting up a service tier on the local machine.

However, this seems very excessive just to debug in RTC, doesn't it? If we're in the client environment and the user only has one granule 9100 -Dynamics NAV Server, would this cause a permission problem?
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    Or use the remote debugger, attach to the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe and open the source files through the network. The root is "\\yourServiceMachine\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer\source"
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • Options
    Or use the remote debugger, attach to the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe and open the source files through the network. The root is "\\yourServiceMachine\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Server\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer\source"

That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    Alex Chow wrote:

That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Just have in mind that if you are attached to the process, other users are unable to connect, I don't know why, but a huge error message appears :)

you're welcome ;)
    -Mihail- [MCTS]