Navsion 2009 SP1 with NLB 2008 server

samitnsamitn Member Posts: 2
edited 2012-10-25 in NAV Three Tier
Hi ,

I would like to know if that is possible to install NAV 2009 SP1 in a 2008 NLB ?

thank you in advance

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Are you referring to the client or the service tier? In terms of the service tier, I recently asked the question to the Technical Advisory Service at Microsoft. Here was there response:
    ...due to design restrictions of the NAV 2009 NST will not work correctly with NLB. This has been discussed over the years and was decided that the architecture change necessary to facilitate the use of NLB as a high availability di not justify the change. So as of right now the best HA solution for the NST would be to use centrally stored virtual machines that could be moved from ones physical machine to another in the event of a server failure. This can be done via Hyper-V or VMware...
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ziedgziedg Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thanks about your reply.
    My question is how to setup component Server Navision 2009 SP1 with NLB 2008, is it possible or no ?

Thank in advance.
    The NAV server (aka "the service tier" or "middle tier") does not support load balancing offered by features such as NLB.
  • Troubles_In_ParadiseTroubles_In_Paradise Member Posts: 588
    bbrown wrote:
    The NAV server (aka "the service tier" or "middle tier") does not support load balancing offered by features such as NLB.
    Hi bbrown, I'm really interested in knowing if you have some documentantion that speaks about this limitation of Service Tier.
    ~Rik~
    It works as expected... More or Less...
    bbrown wrote:
    Hi bbrown, I'm really interested in knowing if you have some documentantion that speaks about this limitation of Service Tier.

This is from the Technical Advisory Service at Microsoft (or whatever they are called now):
    ...due to design restrictions of the NAV 2009 NST will not work correctly with NLB. This has been discussed over the years and was decided that the architecture change necessary to facilitate the use of NLB as a high availability di not justify the change. So as of right now the best HA solution for the NST would be to use centrally stored virtual machines that could be moved from ones physical machine to another in the event of a server failure. This can be done via Hyper-V or VMware...
    bbrown wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

This is from the Technical Advisory Service at Microsoft (or whatever they are called now):

Thank you bbrown, I've another question... do you know if this limitation regards also NAV 2009 R2?
    ~Rik~
    Yes, the limitation applies to 2009 R2 also.
    bbrown wrote:
    Yes, the limitation applies to 2009 R2 also.
    First.. thank you very much for your replay.
    I'm interested in it because we've the following scenario:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 (Build 33137)
    We've 2 physical Server on which we've installed 4 NAV Server Service (I mean 4 on each server).
    Two physical Server are balanced with NLB.
    This configuration works but sometimes (more or less 5 on 50 times) users receive the following error trying to connect to the database through RTC client:

After connection there're no problem (this infrastructure is "alive" since March 2012 and there're no other issue reported)

We're almost sure it's due to NLB, because removing NLB and granting direct access to one server we were able to do 100% perfect connection.

what do you think about it?
    Thank very much.
    ~Rik~
    My thoughts?

Microsoft has said this doesn't work and that they have no intention of making it work. Not sure there's anything else to add. My advice: Move on to your next challenge.