Options

PDF viewer as add-in or part

jensthomsenjensthomsen Member Posts: 173
edited 2015-08-28 in NAV Three Tier
I'm looking for a pdf viewer that can be used on a page (as Part or Factbox).

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I would be interested too.

What about using a HTML box to host the PDF? It must be possible to do that.

The Bingmaps examply on MSDN is also hosted in a HTML box.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    andrewtandrewt Member Posts: 73
    Any updates on this topic ?

I am currently receiving a pdf as byte array from a web service and looking for an embedded solution to display the pdf content in NAV (2013R2).

Cheers
    Andrew
  • Options
    pedgaardpedgaard Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,

I've managed to create client-add ins that displays a PDF file from the nAV database using an embedded browser and some basic html that sets the path to the correct PDF.
    This approaches uses Internet Explorer as default, and the PDF plugin that is enabled in IE.

This works fine on most machines, I have it running on some clients that use 2013R2 and 2013 with Adobe PDF Reader. If anyone interested, write me pm and I give you the sources.
    However, I find the solution to be flawed. Especially on my NAV 2009 RTC client, there are 3 issues.

A) Some focus issues that is well known with Adobe + IE - really annoying, if you have a factbox to display a PDF, and you navigate to next record in a list, and the factbox steals the focus!
    B) Adobe plugin in unstable, it automatically disables itself, and you to re-activate it in IE settings.
    C) Adobe Reader in latest version DC, adds an annoying toolbar that you cna't hide as default - hopefully soon fixed.

I've tried to make a 2009 RTC Addin that uses the Adobe PDF Reader controll directly, but no matter what, when I run the page, my client simply crashes.
    Has anyone been able to embed a Adobe PDF Reader control in a Client-Add DLL?

I know no-one in my network that does :(

Or better, managed to use some open-source solutions - I've considered to use PDFJS, but it's slow in my experience.
  • Options
    MicallMicall Member Posts: 2
    To Pedgaard,

I have the same problem using Foxit-Reader SDK. Did you ever find a solution to the focus problem.
  • Options
    Eboy82Eboy82 Member Posts: 25
    No, I never did. My experience has been that out of 5 servers I had it installed, 3 worked perfectely with no focus problems. 2 however had problems with focus, and no way to solve.

I am now trying to build a javascript addon instead, if you are interested I will post the solution if I manage to solve it.

forum.mibuso.com/discussion/68021/pdfjs-inside-nav-page#latest