Options

Can't connect to SQL server

staalandenstaalanden Member Posts: 12
edited 2014-12-01 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All

I have just installed NAV2013 - Client, Server and Database on the same Windows 2008 R2 Standard server. It works and everything is fine :-)

I would now like to separate the database to my dedicated SQL server running Microsoft SQL Server Web (64-bit). I have installed "SQL Server Database Component" on the SQL server but I can't get the NAV server to connect to it. The service is using "Network service" as Login account and Credential Type is "Windows". All the computers is on the same AD and I'm an administrator.

When I try to connect I get the error on the picture below. It must something with the permissions on SQL server but i can't figure out what, any ideas on how I can narrow it down?
Lars Hædersdal

Answers

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    You need to create a domain account (with just the needed permissions) and use that for the service. The network service is ok if you are running on the same machine.
    Of course you need to give access to that account in SQL Server.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    staalandenstaalanden Member Posts: 12
    kriki wrote:
    You need to create a domain account (with just the needed permissions) and use that for the service. The network service is ok if you are running on the same machine.
    Of course you need to give access to that account in SQL Server.

Great that did the job, thx :-)
    Lars Hædersdal
  • Options
    szhszh Member Posts: 28
    Hi all,

Where should we create domain account on either database server or NAV server?

I am planning to separate Database and NAV server for production environment.

Thank you.

:):):)
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    A domain account is created on the Windows domain.
    It is not created on the single computers.

Another trick you can use (But always try to avoid it because is NOT best practices, but might be necessary in certain cases):

Create a local user on both machines. Both NEED to have the SAME NAME and SAME PASSWORD. This way you can use the local using in SQL Server and the Dynamics NAV service can use the same name. And it is possible for the NAV service to connect to SQL Server.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!