Options

Consolidation of China, Korea and japan in One Database

arsramanarsraman Member Posts: 10
edited 2014-05-05 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
We want to know whether consolidation of Japan, Korea and China is possible in One Database instance.
Scenario: We have a customer, where at present Japan, China and Korea are kept and maintained in different Database and different server. Customer wants to know whether consolidating the data and objects of Japan, Korea and China Database is possible or not in one database in Navision.

Please guide us on the folllowing,
1, Consolidation is possible in which NAV version 4.0 or 5.0 or 2009 or 2013
2. If consolidation is possible, how we can do it.
3. What are all the difficulties/challanges we may face during consolidation process
Please suggest.

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Probably not because of codepage issues.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    with 2013 r2 they would be using unicode so they could be on same db.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Sorting is still done using codepage.

For example DK and NL cannot be in one Database since Latin1 sorts the Danish extra characters wrongly.
  • Options
    i thought sorting is done by collation on sql server and you would select one that fits both languages.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    jfalkebojfalkebo Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 10
    Sorting/Filtering is done according to the chosen SQL collation (Not the codepage).

With Unicode we can store characters from multiple languages in the same database without loss, but we still only support one sorting/filtering. Sometimes the chosen sorting can span a couple of languages e.g. Danish Norwegian but often the collation only fits on language.

So while you can store data from multiple languages in one database in reality you will have a hard time using them all.
    Jesper Falkebo
    Senior SDE
    Microsoft Dynamics Nav | Server & Tools
  • Options
    I don't see this a major problem, Most of key consist of code datatype that you can control what to set them to.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Thank you for the reply.
    The issue is:
    1. China maintains 2 languages (Traditional and Simplified) and China localisation is another issue
    2. Japan maintains 2 languages (Traditional and Simplified) and Japan localisation is another issue
    3. Korea (North Korea has some restirctions worldwide) and Korea localisation is another issue

Note: Even Microsoft does not provided language pack for China, Korea and Japan

So how to handle this various level of complication.
    Have you all/anybody handled this kind of similar situation and how did you handled this situation.
    Or help us how to handle this situation.

In SQL what collation should/can be used to create single DB for China, Korea and Japan.

Please suggest!
  • Options
    In NAV 2013 R2 you can have unicode caption workaround. So you can have all the language translation in one db. In video in that was posted on mibuso, they showed that you can simply load the unicode translation file saved in unicode in the translation folder and the service tier will pick up.
    I personally think the caption should be a separate File anyway and not part of the objects.
    The localization for Korea isn't major, I worked with it a couple of years ago on a project.
    Chinese gov requirement is that the Chart of account should in Chinese.
    There was a thread on same question about what collation to use. And it was suggested to contact Tectura China and they had posted the answer.
    You'll have to research Japanese requirements but Tectura has offices in there as well.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    My appologies. I meant Collation, not Codepage.

The sorting issues can be huge and cause people to have a real hard time getting used to the system.

Try learning the alphabet from scratch in a different order.
  • Options
    I checked with many friends and consultants...
    Everybody says that they have not done consolidation for these countries.
    Is any anyone done these consolidation considering the countries Japan, Korea and China.
    Few friends tested it and said some Japanese characters are not being stored in the system.
    :(
    Please share your similar experiences.

Regards,

AR Seetharaman
  • Options
    Some of my friends tested and data getting stored and did not reflect in Sale Invoice report in japanese language

Regards,

AR Seetharaman