Options

How to retrieve lost data due to incorrect database restore

kelseykong@hotmail.comkelseykong@hotmail.com Member Posts: 86
edited 2014-05-12 in NAV Three Tier
Dear expert

One of our engineers took a backup from production, did a posting in production, and then restored the backup that he took before. The total process is around one hour. However, unfortunately users posted transactions during that time frame and the transactions are overwritten by the restoration of backup.

May I know if there is any way to find out which data has been posted during that time frame? Which will be the best way to handle this issue?

Thank you.
Li

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    If the database was overwritten by an earlier version, then the answer is no. Re-enter the lost information.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    bbrown wrote:
    If the database was overwritten by an earlier version, then the answer is no. Re-enter the lost information.

I don't think they know what information was lost, I think that is what he is asking, that what is a method for finding lost information.

I don't think a general method exists, but as this is not typically a Navision problem perhaps there exists a general procedure for accounting systems in general if you look around online. I would look at each application area and make a strategy for each. For sales I would compare the past printed invoices or shipments with the booked ones. For purchase invoices and purchase orders just go to the last booked ones and go on booking as long as you can find unbooked papers. But I have no idea about stuff like master data like customers, I don't think there is a way to remember what was changed...