Conversion from NAV2013R2 to NAV2015 fails

EntryNoEntryNo Member Posts: 5
edited 2015-07-08 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I downloaded NAV 2015 and installed paralell to NAV2013 R2 on my computer.
Demo database is running without problems.
Now I wanted to convert our NAV2013 R2 database.
The conversion runs without problems. Then I want to mount a NAV2015 server instance on the database.
This can not be started, unfortunately. In the error log of the service always comes following message:

Server instance: DynamicsNAV80B
User:
Type: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.Exceptions.NavSqlException
ErrorNumber: 0
SuppressMessage: False
SuppressExceptionCreatedEvent: False
FatalityScope: None
Message: Die Datenbank 'Nav2013-r2-Prod_141022' auf dem Server '416-0836' muss mithilfe von Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment konvertiert werden, damit sie mit dieser Version von Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server verwendet werden kann.

The message comes though the conversion is finished.
If I close and open the Dev Env again and join me on the database again, NAV will convert the database curiously again.
This explains the error message in the log of the service. NAV seems to have the conversion not finished.

Is this problem already known, or does anyone know of what can be?

Regards,
EntryNo

Comments

• vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

I also experience the same problem. You did not run Sync-NAVTenant cmdlet.
    Take a look at the link below, in the Task 1
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn271650%28v=nav.80%29.aspx

For upgrade to work it is important
    3. On the Tools menu, choose Build Server Application Objects, and then choose the Yes button.
    4. If any errors occur, they are shown in the Error List window. Make sure that you address all compilation errors before you continue.
    5. Upload the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 Partner license to the database.
    6. If you are converting a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 database, then run the Sync-NavTenant cmdlet from the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 Administration Shell to synchronize the database schema changes.

If Sync-NavTenant was not completed successfully you want be able to upgrade the database.

After this steps open the database with NAV 2015 and convert it. This time the conversion should be successful.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.
  • radek.bbradek.bb Member Posts: 49
    Not sure if this was only me - but the problem I had was point 6 from above:

Here - as you posted - and in NAV help we have:

6. If you are converting a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 database, then run the Sync-NavTenant cmdlet from the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 Administration Shell to synchronize the database schema changes.

In MSDN page it is written:

6. If you are converting a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 database, then run the Sync-NavTenant cmdlet from the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Administration Shell to synchronize the database schema changes.

Could you spot the difference? :)
  • RallnusRallnus Member Posts: 79
    Is there no solution / answer yet?

Where can I find a detailed description how to upgrade?
    Rallnus (Yamaha FJ1200 - '89 / 25th anniversary was great!)
  • raven44raven44 Member Posts: 85
    Am I missing something blatantly obvious because I don't see how this can work...

Convert database requires schema sync (to finalize the conversion)
    Schema sync requires NAV service to be running
    NAV service requires the database to be converted (in order to start the service)

Queue creepy music…
  • csssccsssc Member Posts: 4
    Hello, i have the same problem, did you find a solution?

- made a copy of our original database
    - created NAV2013R2 instance and ran Sync-NAVTenant on that instance
    - shutdown instance
    - opened database in NAV2015 dev ide and was prompted to convert database
    - conversion ran without any error (tried it with Invoke-NAVDatabaseConversion too)
    - when i try to run NAV2015 instance it fails and says databse must be converted and when i try to open it again in dev ide it prompts again for conversion

I've tried the whole process a few times, always with the same results. No errors, no warnings, it just seems that the conversion isn't saved in the database.
  • vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi

if you look at the links above there is a step 5
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn271650%28v=nav.80%29.aspx
    5. If any errors occur, they are shown in the Error List window. Make sure that you address all compilation errors before you continue.

In other words, you have to make sure that ALL objects compile without errors, before your convert the database. It will not convert the database if there are compiler errors.
    Also Sync-NAVTenant should run without errors, use Sync-NAVTenant cmdlet to check there are no errors,
    as NAV sometiems does not show them.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn757126%28v=nav.80%29.aspx

I hope this helps
    Thanks
  • csssccsssc Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

i've found my mistake, i read the document you linked again and i had 3 locked objects in the database. After unlocking them the conversion worked.
    Strange that the dev ide threw no error.

Thank you for your help.