Showing User Service Name

MauddibMauddib Member Posts: 269
edited 2014-11-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hi guys,

I am informed that in Nav2013 that it is possible not only to see the server that a user is connected to but also the name of the service (node) they are connected to also. So if a Server (Navision1 for example) has three middle tiers (Node1, Node2, Node3) you can quickly see which one the user is connected to.

I would like to do this in Nav2009 Sp1. Has anyone implemented a solution for this before that can give me some pointers? The best solution I can think of so far is to, on log in perhaps in codeunit 1, to pull this information out of the ClientSetting.config file where it is stored at log in (Along with Server URL history) and store it somewhere in the Navision System.

Not an elegant solution so if anyone can throw out something prettier, please do!

Comments

• Rikt-ItRikt-It Member Posts: 37
    Hi

I would make a new sql-view/linked table with data from the below SQL statement and use information.
    select 
    	s.[Server Computer Name],
    	s.[Server Instance Name],
    	s.[Database Name],
    	s.[Login Datetime],
    	s.[Client Computer Name],
    	s.[User ID]
    	--,s.*
    from 
    	[Active Session] s
    where
    	s.[Client Type]=0

This SQL view may contain inaccurate information...
    Regards
    Christer in Stockholm, Sweden
  • MauddibMauddib Member Posts: 269
    Nice I will try that one! If it works then I will buy you a drink at Nav Tech days.

If you are not AT nav tech days.... I will drink it for you too :)

In the end I did a cheap trick to get what I wanted, before I read your post...... I simply gave the directory that each Service Tier is installed in a useful name.... and then used the installation path call already built into CAL to return me that path name. Using this I was able to work out what node each user was connected to.

Cheap and dirty, but it works.
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    nice tips, should be moved to that forum.