Options

Client specification for NAV 2015

engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
edited 2014-11-19 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

I was going through the NAV 2015 specification for the client when I saw the specification for the OS (Operating Systems) required for the client machines. All the OS were required to be 64 bit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 4(v=nav.80).aspx

This is a bit of shock as it is quite a jump from the NAV 2013 R2 which still allowed 32 bit OS. I manage to get NAV 2015 installed on a tablet with Win 8.1 32 bit but the fact that I have to do more testing for 32 bit environment is really a killjoy.

Anybody has any opinion on this matter? Or tips?

Comments

• Options
    dave_cdave_c Member Posts: 46
    I sent a query to our Master VAR this morning asking about this. I will update the thread if I hear anything back. It looks to me like a copy and paste error...
  • Options
    defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Hm so what's the problem? I guess your IT hardware is not x86 anymore (since years). Also if your are focusing on 2013R2 you'll not be able to use Windows XP (which was really better in x86 than in x64). So in the end when your OS level is at least Windows 7 you shouldn't consider x86 as a valid choice. On server side you don't have this issue anymore since 2012.
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The problem is many clients may not be running 64-bit desktop operating systems. Even though they have updated hardware and are on current versions of Windows. Many users have resisted the move to 64-bit desktops for a variety of reasons.

The problem becomes cost.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Jep that's what I always hear. "We cannot move to the future, because we are working in the past". But there should be no problem today. At least it's still possible to run 32bit applications on 64bit OS. In case it's not possible there is still an option of hosting a virtual 32bit OS. And as I said there's no hardware issue if your workstations are not from a museum.
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I checked with Microsoft. Development confirmed that 32 bit is still supported and this appears to be a problem with the documentation.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    stefangstefang Member Posts: 11
    Same here, confirmed from Microsoft that the client runs on 32 bits.
    However, the documentation on MSDN still shows only 64 bits (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 4(v=nav.80).aspx#WinClient)
  • Options
    geordiegeordie Member Posts: 655
  • Options
    engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
    I appreciate that update.