Options

Can I Cluster just the Mid-Tier Servers?

MJVMJV Member Posts: 38
edited 2015-04-29 in NAV Three Tier
we had NAV 3 tier up and running this morning.

We had 2 mid-tier servers, and any client could connect to NAV using the RTC pointing at the mid-tier servers.

We decided to put the mid-tier servers in a cluster.

Now, if we attempt to connect using the cluster IP Address, we get "Invalid User Name and Password".

I can still connect using the mid-tier servers if I point directly at them, but not when trying to connect via the cluster ip address.

Has anyone ever attempted this?

We are trying to use the cluster for load balancing, so that everyone in our network can point at the cluster.

In addition to load balancing, we are hoping to avoid having to set each user's config file to point at a different mid-tier machine to manually spread out the load.

we have nav 2009 r2, the mid tier machines are windows 2008, the sql server machine is windows 2003, and the sql server is 2005.

Thanks,

Michael

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    You'll need to check delegation. Check the sql log and see if you see an anonymous login error. You'll need to setup delegation for the cluster computer (IP). I don't know if the cluster computer is actually a computer on AD.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Thanks so much Rashed!

I anticipated as much, so I went to look in dsa.msc and could not figure out how to find an IP address to set delegation on.

The only entity which exists for the cluster is the ip address itself.

Can delegation be configured for an IP Address?

Thanks again for your response.

Michael
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You don't mention what NAV version you are using. Microsoft says NAV 2013 and 2015 work with NLB clusters. They told me a couple years back that they did test it with NAV 2009, but discovered some technical issues and decided it was not worth the effort to address. Rather they put the effort into NAV 2013. I don't recall the exact issue.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your quick reply.

I did note in the original post that we have

we have nav 2009 r2, the mid tier machines are windows 2008, the sql server machine is windows 2003, and the
    sql server is 2005.

Thanks again for your reply.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    could you instead do the balancing at the dns instead of using ip, use a name that the would get resolved at the DNS?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Thanks again Rashed!

We assigned a DNS to the IP, but I haven't found anywhere in the Active Directory objects where it is listed, so can't set Kerberos delegation.

I added some SPNs and have gotten it as far as logging in so that it will show the three company names we have in the Company list, which it would not do before when Select Server was selected.

However, upon the final connection it still cannot connect to the sql server database, issuing the Invalid Username and Password error.

I note that the final login is NT AUTHORIT\ANONOMOUS LOGIN, so it would appear that Kerberos is still failing. I am wondering why the NTLM negotiation is failing, which it is supposed to attempt after Kerberos.

NT AUTHORITY is a user on the sql server database and a windows login in NAV.

Thanks to everyone for responding!

Michael