Is a Customer Dimension Wise ?

moichinoimoichinoi Member Posts: 41
edited 2015-06-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I am wondering if it would be wise to create a Dimension, with dimension value as Customer Code.
Why this question ???
Because I would like to use This dimension to have report , for example :
Total of Sales, By region,by project and by Customer.

and so , I have to cross 3 Dimensions.

So my idea is to create a dimension Value each time a new customer is created, and to apply to each sales of this Customer, this Dimensions. and it's Dimension value as it's Code.

is it a bad idea , if yes, any advise would be apreciated.
Thx a lot.

NAV 2015
SQL SERVER 2012.

Comments

• jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi there,

We have a similar requirement, and we will implement it this way. I think it's a workable idea :)

with best regards

Jens
  • moichinoimoichinoi Member Posts: 41
    Hi ,

Glad to hear that I am not alone on that requirement, but , i am wondering why it is not implemented In nav.
    Vendor and Customer are so important in this kind of tools, why there isn't a way to do that kind of report easily ?

I guess a lot of people where thinking of it, but there is no feature in that way in Nav.
    So , maybe the answer is : It is a idiot way to do this kind of report, and Customers/Vendor Dimension is a fool idea.

So, i don't want to write code to do what I said, if another trick exists, or this problem have very easy solution.

Thx for your participation of this debate.
  • Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    Great approach - I'm a huge fan of NAV dimensions! I think they're underused in many implementations and users end up relying on custom reports or BI tools for data that could have been easily obtained with a good dimension setup. Get it into a dimension and you can whip up an account schedule or use analysis by dimensions quickly and easily. I love it.

We have an add-on for NAV that extends NAV dimensions called DimensionPath (http://dynamicspath.com/products/dimensionpath). One of the product setups enables Dimension Synchronizaton to be turned on for any of the tables in the attached screenshot. So, create a CUSTOMER dimension, and then add a setup record to turn on synchronization for table 18 (linking it to the CUSTOMER dimension you created) and you're done. I agree that this setup should be in base NAV out of the box...unfortunately it's not.