Set Job Queue From Error to Ready Automatically

johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
edited 2015-07-01 in NAV Three Tier
Dear all,

Please correct me if I am wrong.

“Maximum No. of Attempts to Run” in Job Queue NAV 2013 is used to specify how many times job queue rerun after job queue fails to run. For default, “Maximum No. of Attempts to Run” is 0 (zero) which means that job queue will always rerun after failed to run.

“Timeout (sec.)” in Job Queue NAV 2013 is used to specify how many seconds job queue has to time out. When time reach timeout settings, failed job queue does not rerun although “Maximum No. of Attempts to Run" still in range.

When job queue fails to run, job queue will rerun since time still less than “Timeout (sec.)” and “Maximum No. of Attempts to Run” still in range.
The failed job queue is caused by long process that made the process unresponsive or not responding.
If there is run from process that is run by job queue, job queue is assumed success but there is error from process that is run by job queue.

If job queue status is error, then user is necessary to check the error and resolve it. After that, set job queue status to ready by click "Set Status to Ready" or "Restart".
So, there is no job queue setting to set job queue status from error to ready automatically without click "Set Status to Ready" (change job queue status to ready) or "Restart" (change job queue status to ready and run job queue process).

Am I correct? Or there is a way to set job queue status from error to ready without click "Set Status to Ready" or "Restart"?
Best regards,

Johanna

Comments

• QWERT_QWERT_ Member Posts: 13
    I will advise you not to let the Job Queue continue if there is a recurring error.
    The problem with improper error handling, is that an unexpected error might occur and you wont catch it because it drowns in all the other error messages.

Instead you could handle the error in your code (if you know which piece of code throws the error) and either stop your code or try to run it again if you can correct the error on runtime.
    Then set the "Maximum No. of Attempts to Run " to a value that is realistic according to the amount of errors you expect the Job to throw before being able to complete.
  • asmilie2basmilie2b Member Posts: 122
    I think the issue with a failing job queue is a problem if it is not noticed, or actioned upon.
    I always leave the max no. of attempts to 0. And we made a code change in the Job Queue Entry table, so that when a job queue goes to Error status, it will send an email to alert us. Missed failed job queues a thing of the past!

Bruce Anderson