Options

Question license dev.environment vs service tier

greysgreys Member Posts: 27
edited 2015-07-09 in NAV Three Tier
Hi folks,

When I open a production database (nav2013 r2) at the customer's site in the development environment, change the license into my dev license and then run objects, the windows client opens with the customer's license. Since I want to modify some data directly in tables, I have a problem. Is there a solution for this? I do not want to disturb the production environment every time I have to do some maintenance...

Josh

Comments

• Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    1. Setup a dedicated service tier (NST) for this.
    2. Before starting it upload dev license to database
    3. Startup this NST
    4. Make sure when running objects that you connect (with Windows Client) to this NST

And of course, upload customer license again to database!!!!! Best to do this once you started your dedicated NST to prevent that you forget it once ready.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    greysgreys Member Posts: 27
    Thanks Luc!

Let's see if I understand it properly:

- Starting point is that the production server is running with the customer license and will not be touched during the following.
    - I create a new 'maintenance instance' next to the existing one, pointing to the production database, but I do not start it yet.
    - I open the dev. environment, open the database, change the license to the developers' license and then upload this license.
    - I start the maintenance instance.
    - I open the database again in the dev. environment, change the license back to the customer's license and then upload this license.
    - From now on, I choose the maintenance server instance in the development environment when I want to do maintenance on production.

When the services are restarted (on a server reboot for example), this process has to be repeated I guess. So there's no way to edit CustomSettings.config per service to point to different licenses?

Best regards,

Josh
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Right, Josh. :thumbsup:
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    Hi,

For data Update in protected tables you can do following:

1. Open dev env and change License.
    2. Create a codeunit or Report in The customer's Object range.
    3. İn The properties of codeunit or Report, give permission to protected tables you want to Update.
    4. Save the Object and run it on the production NST

Thanks.