Can you install multiple localised RTC's on same server?

TPReggieTPReggie Member Posts: 29
edited 2015-07-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All,

I am not having much luck finding an answer on this, I thought I would check with the knowledgeable on here whether this was possible without it causing issues as I have never had to do this. The scenario is this:

I have a client who is going live tomorrow with a UK upgrade from NAV 5 to 2015 - this is installed as a full 3 tier installation, SQL Server, Nav Service and Nav Client are all installed on separate machines. They are using the GB Client.

They have also told us they want to bring other countries online, these are Spain, Italy and Germany - however they will require their own localisation client install - so we will need a client install of the ES, IT, and DE clients.

However - they do not have any application servers available for these countries and want allthe clients to be on the same application server.

Does anyone know if you can, or has anyone already installed more than one localised client on the same application server with them all working happily? If so please could you let me know the best way to do this and avoid any registry clashes or problems?

Answers

• lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    How should I read ...
    TPReggie wrote:
    ... they will require their own localisation client install - so we will need a client install of the ES, IT, and DE clients.
    Is it really only the client, i.e. a RTC installation with ES, IT and/or DE language enabling? Or does it include ES, IT and/or DE application functionality?
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • TPReggieTPReggie Member Posts: 29
    Hi Luc,

It will be the RTC install only, but will also require application functionality - such as country specific tax functionality. So in effect it will be 4 full RTC client installs, not a single client with several installed language packs.
    So you got GB, ES, IT and DE.

As you need all local application features this will not be possible on one server. By default each local version is delivered by MS as separate application, i.e. each in its own database with its own codebase. If this needs to be run on one database the code needs to be merged. Easier said than done, as various local features of different country versions have not be designed/built on the same code base (indeed each of them have been built on w1 codebase, but not on each others local code base). As such merging might create code that conflicts technically and/or functionally.

If it was only a matter of language, the challenge would be smaller and doable even though DE functionality probably will have a lot of terms only available in DEU and ENU and not in ESP, ITA or ENG.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
    Sorry no, I see where the misunderstanding is, I think my fault for not being completely clear - these countries will not all be in the same database - they will all have a completely separate database in SQL, so there is a GB database, there will be a completely separate database added for Spain (ES), Italy (IT) and Germany (DE) - so these will all sit separately and contain their own objects of the correct localisation. (4 databases in all)

So it is not a case of needing to merge multiple functions within the same database, just running multiple localised clients seperately but installed on the same server. So the Spanish users will use the Spanish install of the RTC and connect to the Spanish Database and so on.

I hope that clarifies it :)
    OK, clear, but then still, as ...
    TPReggie wrote:
    ... they do not have any application servers available for these countries and want allthe clients to be on the same application server ....
    ... it will not be possible, because one application server is always tight to one database.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
    Hi Luc, thanks for continuing to advise.

I maybe should not have used the term Application Server as this probably makes you think I am referring to the NAS service tier - is that correct?

I am not referring to the NAV Service Tier, I know this is tied in to a single database and a new instance must be set up for each additional database. I would just like to install different localised versions of the Nav RTC client on the same server as the users from these 4 countries all connect to the same server via a remote desktop connection, and need to run their own loacised RTC client through this connection.

So The infrastructure would be:
    Server 1: All database components on the same SQL server - separate NAV Databases set up in SQL for UK, Spain, Germany and Italy - this will be no problem.

Server 2: One install of NAV Service tier running a separate instance to connect to each individual databases - so 4 separate instances set up, one for each country database. This will be no problem.

Server 3: 4 seperate RTC client installs on the same server, it is this single server which would need an install of the GB RTC client, Spanish Localised RTC Client, German Localised RTC client and Italian Localised RTC client.
    So 4 installs of the NAV RTC Client, once for each country. It is this which I am not sure I can do without issue.

My concern is that on server 3, the multiple installs of the RTC client may clash with each other in registry entries or other install clashes. It is this that I am seeking advice on.
    Hi Reggie (?),

Thanx for this elaboration. Detailed and clear. Form the start, however, it was clear we were discussing Service Tier and not NAS.

Indeed Server 1 and 2 are no problem. Server 3 is also not a problem if the 4 service tiers on server allow connection from server 3. The only thing on server 3 is that you actually only can have one client installation (at least that's my experience). To have the 4 languages work fine with this one client installation you have to install also the 4 language modules onto this installation.

You might know that NAV is Multilanguage enabled and this concerns two parts: (1) code (2) client.
    Part (1) is in the code that resides in the database and entails messages, labels on pages, etc.. Part (2) is, what we now are discussing, client based and handles some client specifics like some terms in Role Center, specific error messages.

Both parts have to be installed in the same language to have a complete one language experience.

Language modules for various languages are to be found on PartnerSource.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Hi Reggie,

you are talking about localized client Installation but your focus is on 2015. The installation is different than in 5.0. The Windows client and the service tier are not localized. So we run several different localizations with x instances connected to different "localized" app databases (and behind that different tenants). We are not facing any issues here.

regards
    defiant701
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
    Hi All,

Thank you for the responses, apologies I have not responded before now. I had a client Go Live on Wednesday and another go live yesterday - so have been a little distracted.

So am I right in that what you are saying is that I will NOT need to install the country specific client for each country on server 3 - and that all the country specific functional requirements will be taken care of within a single client install if the following are in place:

1. Country specific objects in the database so the UK db will have UK objects, Spain will have the ES object versions and so on.
    2. The relevant language packs and language modules installed with the single client.

If so, would I need to replace the UK 2015 client already on the server with a different client that will cater for and allow all the country specific functions driven by the objects/languages or will the existing client be ok?

Sorry for coming back to this, I just want to be sure I advise the client correctly.
  • defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    So am I right in that what you are saying is that I will NOT need to install the country specific client for each country on server 3 - and that all the country specific functional requirements will be taken care of within a single client install if the following are in place:

1. Country specific objects in the database so the UK db will have UK objects, Spain will have the ES object versions and so on.
    2. The relevant language packs and language modules installed with the single client.

Hi Reggie,

damn right :thumbsup:

But I'm not sure what you mean with replace UK client on server.

regards defiant701
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
    Great, thanks guys, all is good now. The only thing I meant by replacing client on the server was whether the GB install of the RTC I have now will be ok to cater for all the other countries as well, based on your responses it will do so and I dont need to worry my (not so pretty) little head about it :D

Many thanks for the help. I will mark this as Solved now. =D>
    Glad to be of help \:D/ :thumbsup:
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community