Options

NAV 2015 Client is killed - Service tier still running task?

JutJut Member Posts: 72
edited 2015-08-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hallo!

I am involved in a migration project from NAV 5.0 to NAV 2015. During the first tests we experienced a problematic behavior of the new three-tier-setup. Users are used to killing their NAV Client (Task manager - end task) if NAV stops reacting for a long period of time. In some cases that may make sense if they for example forgot set a filter on a long-running report. However at the Service Tier I can see that the work load is still high after the client was killed. SQL-profiler actually shows that the Service Tier is just continuing the work. If a user is running a report that is locking some records, for some or the other reason kills his/her session (e.g. just because of a Windows-crash), they could run into locks when trying to re-run the report because of their own old "orphan" session.

Is there any way to avoid that problem aside from training users not to kill sessions and to change all long running processes to update a dialog-window regularly?

Thanks and regards,
Jut

Comments

• Options
    MarcosMarcos Member Posts: 55
    You have to respect that the business logic is now executed via the application tier and not on the client. Having said that, we added a kill session to the sessions page which runs the STOPSESSION command when executed.

IF CONFIRM (STRSUBSTNO('Are you sure you want to kill session %1.',"Session ID"),FALSE) THEN
    STOPSESSION("Session ID")
  • Options
    DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    Nice one... Copying this without STRSUBSTNO:
    IF CONFIRM('Are you sure you want to kill session %1.',FALSE,"Session ID") THEN
      STOPSESSION("Session ID");

• Options
    MarcosMarcos Member Posts: 55
    Well yes my fault, replaced the test variable with the actual text to clarify..