Options

Duplicate Check Printing

rjsfrjsf Member Posts: 17
edited 2015-08-27 in NAV Three Tier
My customer used to print their checks on a dot-matrix which allowed a duplicate carbon copy to be printed beneath the stock. Since they have upgraded to a non-impact printer they now want NAV to be able to print each check twice. I thought it was as simple as inserting a CopyLoop section in the report, but it turns out to be more complicated because a lot of processing happens inside the report. For example NAV would auto increment and update the next check number, post the journal entries, etc. I was thinking about trying to force the duplicate printout from .NET, but no luck. And no, the picky customer does not want to have to put "2" on the copies in the print prompt. Has anyone done this before and how have you accomplished it? Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Maybe they should revisit why they need that second copy. I see stub-check-stub being rather common. Where the customer keeps the second stub for their records. But typically not the check itself. I suppose you could have a printer produce a single sheet form with stub-check-duplicate check and then modify the check report to support it.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I guess we're old school still.
    We print out a batch of checks.
    Throw them in the copy machine.
    Real check gets mailed.
    Copy gets stapled to invoice(s) and get filed away.
    Saves on check stock.
  • Options
    rjsfrjsf Member Posts: 17
    Thanks guys, unfortunately the customer is extremely picky. My original suggestion was to type "2" on the #copies field in the print dialog, but that was quickly dismissed. There was no way to convince them to accept any other solution. So is there really no way at all?
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Your first post mentions that they used to use 2-ply carbonless paper.

Now are you going to print a big "Void" on the second check?
    They apparently needed a copy to save but printing out 2 may lead to someone mailing both in error unless you make the second printout un-depositable!

You can mention that to them.
    Do they need an actual FULL COPY of the check or just the stub??
    Then you could use the Stub-Stub-Check paper.
    They keep the top stub, second stub is identical and goes with the check.

Do they use pre-printed checks or do they use MICR toner on blanks?
  • Options
    MarkKeenerMarkKeener Member Posts: 17
    I agree that stub-check-stub is the way to go. The only problem is that the file copy stub generally doesn't show the payee address, etc. - just the detail.

Sometime around version 4 someone developed an AP check modification that allowed you to print a "miniature version" of the actual check, along with the detail on the file copy stub. It used a pretty small font but every client that I showed it to liked it.

When I did my first 2013 upgrade the client wanted that same check done in the RTC. I won't tell you how many hours I had in that mod, but I finally got it!! So it is possible to do it in the current version's report writing tools.

Another potential solution to think about is to print to a pdf file. Save the file and then you can print the pdf on to the actual check stock and then again on plain paper. I have a 2015 client that prints their payroll remittance advices to PDF. They save the PDF as a file copy and then print the remittance advices on paper and distribute them to the employees. Your client could do something similar.

I'm kind of curious why they won't accept a "stub" in lieu of the old carbon copy. Yeah, it's not the same size as the check, but it gives them the necessary information.