Options

ADO jumps back to default

SunsetSunset Member Posts: 200
edited 2015-10-03 in SQL General
Can someone please tell me how to force the ADO connection to stay on the instance?

Setup:
Server S004 is running 2 SQL servers. Vanilla SQL 2008, and SQL 2012 as instance SQL2012.
When connecting to the databases you point to s004 if you want bases on SQL2008, and s004\SQL2012 if you want bases on the SQL2012 instance. Connections are fine, service run without any problem; everybody is happy!

Well, everybody except me. On a different machine/setup I regularly need to get data on databases on s004\SQL2012 into a 2009R2 database. So instead of having to copy/paste I decided to make a little code snippet that would connect to the databases, and grab the data for me. But for some reason beyond me, the connection refuses to stick on the instance and will instead insist on going to the default installation.

For instance shoting off "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=S004\SQL2012,1433;Initial Catalog=LM;Trusted_Connection=Yes" will result in an error saying "Cannot open database LM requested by the login"
I am sysadmin and dbowner on all databases, and can access them all with Studio Management, so access isn't an issue

I tried replacing "Initial catalog" with Database, same error. I tried username/pw instead of Trusted_Connection, I tried "Integrated Security"; all with the same errormessage.
I then tried connecting to Master just to make sure I wasn't losing my marbles. That worked perfectly, so the connection happens :D
Cycling through the various thoughts, I at one point pointed to a database that exists on the default s004, and all of a sudden there was life on the other side :shock:

So now my question is, why does my connection go to the default instance on s004, and how do I stop it? The database i want is on the named instance, and I want my connction to stay there :x

Any help/hints are welcome.
Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself

Answers

• Options
    SunsetSunset Member Posts: 200
    Turns out it doesn't like being told which port number to connect to....
    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=S004\SQL2012;Initial Catalog=LM;Trusted_Connection=Yes" did the trick
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Each SQL instance use their own port. Port 1433 is the default port for the default instance.
    All other instances get a "random" port, which is only needed to be known by the SQL Browser service. (The SQL Browser uses port 1434 by the way.)
    If you dont wish to have the SQL Browser service running, you can assign a specific port for your SQL instance with the SQL Configuration Mgr. Then you have to specify the port in the connection string, as you did. It just needs to be the right port :-)
    Regards
    Peter