SQL connection dropping

Herby06Herby06 Member Posts: 3
edited 2014-09-30 in SQL General
We have a server on our DMZ where users on a VPN can connect using RDP and then use the Nav client. we have opened the SQL ports through to our SQL server and all was running OK until 3 weeks ago. We have not made any chnages to our system at all but now users can still log into RDP OK and they can still use Nav ok for a while but then the connection drops (only SQL) and we get a message connection to server lost....
We have done a lot of work with the firewall and it is not blocking any SQL traffic.
We are running SQL Server 2005 64 Bit lastest service pack (4 I think) on a Windows Server 2003 64bit server. We are running Nav V5 sp1.
This is very frustrating and very differcult to determine what the issue is. I just hope that someone out there has had the same issue and can help [-o< .

Cheers

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Check the number of open connections on the SQL server and make sure that users not just disconnect but log off thier remote sessions. Sql server is pooling connections and if they are not properly closed it will close them itself after a while.
  • Herby06Herby06 Member Posts: 3
    I have checked this but the issue is that we are getting disconnected while we are using Nav.

This has just happend again and we got the message:

The following ODBC error occured.

Error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection could not open State ID: 08003
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Herby06 wrote:
    We have a server on our DMZ where users on a VPN can connect using RDP and then use the Nav client. we have opened the SQL ports through to our SQL server...

Why and which ports did you open on SQL server? If you are using NAV as described (VPN+RDP) the default SQL port 1433 is enough. Are you sure that all of your users use RDP to connect to NAV. I bet that some use only VPN with the local installed NAV client to connect directly. Check it out.
  • MonstaMonsta Member Posts: 38
    Is there any update on this issue?
  • AnoopBaaluAnoopBaalu Member Posts: 1
    Monsta wrote:
    Is there any update on this issue?
    This is a very isolated issues and sometimes runs off the system by simply signing back and forth the RDP sessions, still waiting for a responsible reply for this threat from the NAV experts who ideally faced this issue.
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    I have similar issue...

SQL 2008, NAV 2009R2.
    SQL service runs on dedicated machine.
    there is terminal server where is permanently connected one session
    in this session 2 NAV clients are running, there is one job scheduler active per each client.
    in every NAV window, error [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection could not open State ID: 08003 is shown periodocally after some time.
    what can be problem? this error is shown when user is connected to this session and is shown if user is not connected.

normally working users connected via the same terminal server are not getting this message.

can anybody help? I tried to search information related to error 08003 but I did not find anything.

thanks in advance.
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    bump

anyone knows something concerning error 08003?

Thanks in advance :)
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis