Yes, Virginia, you CAN run Navision 2009 on SQL 2014

bknoppbknopp Member Posts: 37
edited 2014-08-11 in SQL General
I just thought I'd drop y'all a note to let you know that I've tested it, and it appears to work just fine.

I know the online documents for SQL 2014 said "no breaking changes", but we've been around long enough to take that with a grain of salt, have we not? 8)

As always, YMMV, so test for yourself, but I had no problems. Install, create the xp_ndo extended procedures, restore the database, and Bob's your uncle.

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    While what you tested may have worked, that's irrelevant in terms of a production system. Until Microsoft test and says it works, then it officially don't work and will not be supported. "Supported" is a key factor with production financial systems.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • bknoppbknopp Member Posts: 37
    Oh, I'm well aware of the process by which Microsoft decides what is and is not supported. I worked there for almost six years in SQL Server support, and in that time I spoke to dozens of folks running production systems that were "unsupported" in one way or another. That's why I chose my words as carefully as I did in the original post.

I'm not advocating a mass in-place upgrade from SQL 2008/2012 to SQL 2014. I'm just sharing a result.
  • geordiegeordie Member Posts: 655
    Compatibility between NAV (2013 - 2013R2) and SQL 2014 announced today: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/2014/08/11/compatibility-with-sql-server-2014.aspx