Device CAL?

slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
edited 2014-12-03 in SQL General
Hi
If the client is to use a Terminal Server solely for client access (say 50 TS clients) and the NAV/SQL server, how many SQL CAL do I need to purchase?
"A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    In your example, you would need 50 Device CALs to license the end-user devices. Or you could go with User CALs, or any combination of the two. Multiplex solutions, such as Terminal Server, do not reduce the required licensing.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
    bbrown wrote:
    In your example, you would need 50 Device CALs to license the end-user devices. Or you could go with User CALs, or any combination of the two. Multiplex solutions, such as Terminal Server, do not reduce the required licensing.

Thank you.
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    no. of CALs must be the same as the concurrent users are accessing the SQL.

Am I right ?
    Now or Never
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    navuser1 wrote:
    no. of CALs must be the same as the concurrent users are accessing the SQL.

Am I right ?

That is actually not totally correct as they are licensed differently. Although it can be considered a guide as to the minimum licenses needed. Consider the following illustration.

Your business operates two 8 hour shifts each day. On shift 1, there are 15 employees. Of these 10, 5 of them are managers that have both a desktop and laptop computer assigned to them. The other 10 use the same computers used buy the second shift. The second shift has 10 employees.

1. NAV would need 15 "concurrent" users.

2. if licensed by User CAL, SQL would require 25 CALS.

3. If licensed by Device CAL, SQL would require 20 CALS.

4. If licensed by a combination of Device and User CALS, SQL would require 10 Device CALS plus 5 User CALS. Making this the lowest cost option.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.