running NAV & SQL 2005 in Virtual Server for Life

rustrust Member Posts: 27
edited 2008-09-13 in SQL Performance
Is it recommend to run Life NAV with SQL 2005 in a Virtual Server ?

Comments

• KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

simple answer here: No, it is not.

Performance will be affected too much by installing SQL2005 on a Virtual server.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I think you'll find many different opinions about that. The fact of the matter is, most people in here (except a very few) know close to nothing about virtualization in enterprise settings, which is why the advice is 'no'.

The key to virtualization is that you have to understand how performance is affected by the setup. You can virtualize a RAID10 configuration with 36 disks, but if the virtual server is one file that sits on a dinky little 2 processor, 4 disk server, it's not going to perform at all.

You need to find an expert in enterprise class virtualization, and make sure that they have proven experience with SQL Server, and freferably even with NAV. Until you find someone like that I think NAV implementations should stay away from virtualization, or take the risk that you don't have good performance at the start.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yes it can work like a charm and even boost performance, but Daniel is correct, you need an expert in all fields to make it work. Performance is complex enough without virtualisation, let alone with.

Please read my blog for tips and tricks on both SQL, NAV and virtualisation.

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/mark_brummel/default.aspx

If there are any more questions do not hesitate to contact me.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL Performance forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!