SQL 2005 performance on WMware

THonny_BirchTHonny_Birch Member Posts: 8
edited 2008-12-18 in SQL Performance
Hi
Does any one have experience with running SQL 2005 on WMware?

My problem is DynamicsNAV is running slow, the database is installed on SQL 2005 on WMware and I don’t know anything of how to increase performance on the SQL server in this environment.

It takes the NAV database is five times longer to do a job on the SQL on WMware that it dose on my laptop in a native database.

Can anyone help me finding someone that can support me on this?

Regards Thonny Birch
Thonny Birch

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Navision can run very well on VMware with SQL. Its a great environment.

But don't expect to just "Run Install" and hope for the best. It needs to be very carefully installed and managed. just wrong incorrect settings with drives CPUs or RAM and the whole thing can fall to pieces. If you don't have experience, then best is to get in someone that has experience.
    David Singleton
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    David is correct, and having performance issues with NAV on VMWare (ESX) add's another dimension to your performance project.

We work very closely together with a VM Ware expert and have invested heavily in this technology ourselves. In fact our own performance Lab run's on VM Ware.

Please read my blog about this

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/mark_brummel/default.aspx

Do you have access to the infrastructure client? If so, then have a look at the performance graphs. Are there more machines running on the same box? Do they have the same problems?

Going to Microsoft is useless since they do net even support Dynamics on Hyper-v, let alone VM Ware.

Don't give up, we have customers with very large systems running perfectly on VMWare.

Good luck
  • THonny_BirchTHonny_Birch Member Posts: 8
    Thanks

I will keep on working on this.

Thonny
    Thonny Birch