Verify Backup Checkbox

jwilderjwilder Member Posts: 263
edited 2009-06-05 in SQL Performance
We are mving to SQL 2008 Thursday evening. I have done much testing an I now realize something very weird when setting up the backup jobs. First off a regular backup takes about 25 minutes. As soon as I click the "Verify Backup When Finished" checkbox it causes the backup to take 2 hours! You can actually run the "Verify Backup When Finished" script on it's own (RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK command) which I have done and it takes about 1.5 hours.

How can verifying the backup take longer than the actual restore!

My current work around is to do a compressed backup with "Verify Backup When Finished" turned on. This takes about 24 minutes, but I am really lookinh for answers as to why this is happening.

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Do you see this drastic difference with an uncompressed back and verify? I'm thinking it may need to uncompress the backup in memory in order to do the verify.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • jwilderjwilder Member Posts: 263
    It is with both but with a compressed backup the verify is much less. I am saying good-bye to non-compressed backups now that I have switched to SQL 2008. The compressed backups are so much faster and so much smaller. The restore is also so much faster. I will have more information on this in the next few days.