Commerce Portal on separate server

FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
edited 2013-03-11 in Navision e-Commerce
Hi
I have a customer with performance issues. They have a growing 100GB database and want to move their system to a Windows Server 2008 64-bit.
The problem is that they also use Commerce Portal and they don't have the time to initiate a project to change this into more recent technology. :?

Would it be possible to move the NAV Server part (SQL Server) to a 2008 64-bit environment and let the NAS (and Commerce Portal with MSMQ) remain on the current Win Server 2003 environment. Or is it required that the complete system remain on 32-bit to satisfy Commerce Portal?

Kind Regards
/Simon

Comments

• FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    Anyone knows?

I'm no expert on Commerce Portal. I guess one problem with the suggested separation of NAS (CP and MSMQ) and SQL is that when I run a client on the 2008 64-bit Server and try to customize or run objects that are involved I wont be able to compile and probably I will get a runtime error.
    But, will it work to do all customizations on the 2003 32-bit Server? Or do they have to put the Commerce Portal DLLs on the 2008 64-bit server as well?

Does anyone have any experience in such a setup?
    Or is a 2003 32-bit server with AWE Enabled memory the only way to go?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'Navision e-Commerce' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    As far as I know nothing will stop you to left CP on separate machine. All you need - it's let NAS to connect new DB. As far as i know CP communicating with DB using only NAS and MSMQ. Eg, CP reading/writing MSMQ messages, and NAV code running on NAS doing the same. I can't see any reason why this code fails if you replace DB server with new one.

Just upgrade DB and point your NAS to new DB. Must work like a charm.
  • FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    ppavuk wrote:
    As far as I know nothing will stop you to left CP on separate machine. All you need - it's let NAS to connect new DB. As far as i know CP communicating with DB using only NAS and MSMQ. Eg, CP reading/writing MSMQ messages, and NAV code running on NAS doing the same. I can't see any reason why this code fails if you replace DB server with new one.

Just upgrade DB and point your NAS to new DB. Must work like a charm.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I think too. If there are some problems compiling it can always be solved as stated before.
    I'll try this out together with the customer then. :thumbsup:
  • ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    It is possible that you would not be able to design NAV code which call CP automations on 64-bit machine, but I am not sure. If this dll's are really old - there may be issues.

But normally - you can register 32-bit dll on windows 64. So, i think you will not have any problem at all.

What I know - oldest versions of NAV timer OCX do not work on win64, but this not stopping you to design objects, as you can register and access OCX, but it just not works :) As i can remember it maybe ocx from ver 3.0.