Best performance between Webshop and NAV 2013?

BoBrinkmannBoBrinkmann Member Posts: 2
edited 2014-09-04 in Navision e-Commerce
What is the fastest way to communicate data between the shop and Nav 2013

Is it via:

web services?
ODBC?
Files?
Direct entries in the database?

There should be no safety issues, about the solution and perfomance should be as high as possible.

Online users on average approx. 100

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Direct to SQL is the fasted but you still need to run the business logic.
    You could insert it into staging table and process them from NAV.
    But I suggest implement it with web services. The two system are separate db.
    Have a separate task send the data asynchronously.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I'm curious, why write directly to SQL table? You can directly write to the SQL table, but you're still subject to the delay of actually processing the data when the data gets to the staging table.

Web service is a direct link and it validates business logic.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    First of all because web services are a three-tier, RTC thing.

I see the delay as a feature, not a bug. I don't believe in "silently" importing data automatically. Rather, the Order Processor should go to a button twice a day that says "Import Web Orders", and if there is an error message he can call me immediately. That is a proper solution, that means any problem will be promptly dealt with because the process is overseen by a human.

"Silent" imports such as scheduled with NAS are very dangerous. There is some error, nobody notices that it stopped, people wonder how comes we have no orders for the last week, then angry customers call in the hundreds...

This should be a principle really. If ever data is loaded into Navison, it should be initiated by a person pressing a button. So if it does not works they know it.

If a webshop "pushes" data into Navision through web services, and something fails, how does the Order Processor know about it?
  • rmv_RUrmv_RU Member Posts: 119
    What is the fastest way to communicate data between the shop and Nav 2013
    web services?
    ODBC?
    Files?
    Direct entries in the database?
    There should be no safety issues, about the solution and perfomance should be as high as possible.
    Online users on average approx. 100

Probably using SQL to reading data and web-services with Nav to provide business logic better choice.
    Looking for part-time work.
    Nav, T-SQL.
  • aniishaniish Member Posts: 27
    using web-service is best practice to integrate NAV system with an e-com system. To retrieve data from NAV on behalf of any calculation you can use Sql services.