Classic (matrix) forms in RTC (NAV 2009)

Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
edited 2008-12-06 in NAV Tips & Tricks
For Microsoft I have been teaching NAV 2009 upgrade classes. Last week we had a return day to exchange experiences.

One of the subjects on the discussion list was using classic reports in the new Role Tailored Client. This is something everybody loves very much.

But, we started experimeting with it.

The first idea was to use the request form to simulate old forms. And it works!! You can just use the requestform with controls in the RTC.

But it get's better!!!

When you add this code to the OnInitReport trigger

FORM.RUNMODAL(0, Cust);

it just runs a classic form in the RTC. It works for all forms including Matrix forms. You can even call another form from that form. Only requirement is to use code, not properties.

Hopefully Microsoft wil not remove this feature. :mrgreen:
2.jpg 109.1K

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I noticed the same type of thing when you don't have an RDLC layout yet for reports, that it opens it in a classic client context. What I wonder is if that consumes an extra user, and if you show two forms like that, will it use 2 extra users. It'll be nice and all to show clasic forms like that, but if you'd need twice as many users, it'll be an expensive trick.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, this is not consuming new session and is running under the session of the RTC... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Well then that opens all sorts of possibilities then doesn't it, running regular NAV forms from the RTC.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    But it get's better!!!

When you add this code to the OnInitReport trigger

FORM.RUNMODAL(0, Cust);

\:D/

Nice.

Now does that mean I can call form 330 from RTC and have a REAL system to use?
    David Singleton