NAV ALM with VS Team Foundation Server (TFS)

Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
edited 2013-11-24 in NAV TechDays 2013 Sessions
Session title: NAV ALM with VS Team Foundation Server (TFS)
Date: Friday, 8 November 2013
Time: 13:30 - 15:00
Level: 200 - Intermediate
Speaker: Luc van Vugt

Session description:
A perfect - no, even better - alternative to the various home brewed source control and product planning systems is Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS).

TFS is a powerful ALM (Application lifecycle management) tool that can support your NAV development projects. Secure your code with history using TFS source control or easily propagate your product to your customer projects. Track bugs and plan your work using TFS work items. Design and manage your test using TFS test manager and even build your fobs using the TFS build system.
But how to do this with the NAV development environment that is not integrated with Visual Studio?
MVP Luc van Vugt will give you a resume of what he has been doing for years now: integrating TFS and NAV. Next to TFs itself a number of interfacing tools will be discussed and demonstrated

Use this thread to post your questions, comments or things you would like to see in this session at the conference.
No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)

Comments

• dipakpatel2505dipakpatel2505 Member Posts: 169
    Hi Luc,

"NAV ALM with VS Team Foundation Server" session contents seems very interesting.

Unfortunately, There are many Technical Consultants like me who are not able to attend Tech Days.

My question is that Any material regarding "NAV ALM with VS Team Foundation Server" session will be available on Mibuso after Tech days regarding this session ?
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Hi dipakpatel2505,

Thanx for your interest and sorry that you willnot be able to attend my session. As always at NAV TechDays all sessions will be recorded and published; as will the ppt's.
    So keep in touch. :)
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
    Find the recording of my session here: http://mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1564.
    For the slide deck go here: http://mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1555
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • tmajvdlaantmajvdlaan Member Posts: 7
    Hi Luc, I also attended your session :shock: and I want to start with it! Can you point me in the right direction where to start?

The first thing I want to do is upgrade a 2009R2-database into a 2013R2; this is just to get some feeling with the product.
    Thank you for your reply!

Martijn
    Hi Martijn,

Great you were there too. Apparently the session triggered you!
    Let me cut you're request in two.
    tmajvdlaan wrote:
    Can you point me in the right direction where to start?
    As you might recall from the session it's fairly easy to go there and start today, with Team Foundation Service, which has been renamed Visual Studio Online. If need some help on what to do to get you a service account and set up a team project in the cloud you can make use of this step-by-step post by Soren Klemmensen: Getting a Team Foundation Service Account for your NAV development
    tmajvdlaan wrote:
    The first thing I want to do is upgrade a 2009R2-database into a 2013R2; this is just to get some feeling with the product.
    Now this second part is a bit more laborious. This will be (partly) tackled by the series of post I am working on now. I released the first one last Friday: NAV ALM with Team Foundation Server | Branch Strategy. So not yet ready to eat.
    But to give you a little bit more information:

1. create a branch containing (all) NAV 2009 R2 standard (objects)
    2. branch this to your solution branch
    3. update this solution branch with your object
    4. update NAV standard branch with NAV 2013 objects
    5. merge changes from MAV standard branch to your solution branch

As TFS is not NAV aware you most probably get quite some conflicts reported on ÿour" objects, meaning that TFS can not resolve the merge automatically and you will be prompted to solve it manually (guided by TFS).
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community