Object Manager Advanced v10.03 (trial till 15-11-2017)

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    When I filter on a project in Object Explorer and want to create a new object of an object type that doesn't exist yet for the project then the Object Explorer wants to create an object of the previous object type. Seems to be a :bug: .
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • reijermolenaarreijermolenaar Member Posts: 256
    Yep, you are totally right.
    I will fix this in the next release.

Thanx!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
  • arne_kleinarne_klein Member Posts: 14
    Okay, so I got Object Manager Advanced installed and working, and I've set up a TFS on my machine as well (which works fine with Visual Studio 2010). Unfortunately I cannot get NAV/OMA to play along with TFS. When I activate the Repository option and try to check out an object, it'll tell me that it "Failed to get a token."

"Export all" creates the directory structure in the Repository Folder, but only exports the first object (table 3) and the throws another error, "There are conflicts that has to be resolved manually."

I'm assuming I've made another configuration mistake, but I'm afraid I can't figure out what that might be.

By the way, I can create a new thread if you want to keep your release thread clean.

Arne
    Hi Arne,

It is a bit difficult to guess why it does not work. It can be a lot of things with the TFS option. Best would be to run the tfs batch files seperatly to see what exactly goes wrong.

Maybe it is better to use the “File System” repository type if you want to see how the mechanism works. It works almost the same.
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Okay, I have decided to focus on OMA's features first rather than getting it to work with TFS from the beginning. Unfortunately, I have run into another problem...

I have created a couple of objects and tried to transport them, but NAV freezes when I click the Transport button.

I have created a project, assigned modifications to it and added the project to a transport. "Create Transport Files" works fine, and does indeed create the files, but F11 freezes NAV with full CPU (Core) usage :(
    Does is freeze immediately or did the progress bar opened?
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    It freezes immediately, with no apparent action after pressing the button except for the high CPU usage.
    Is it possible to debug the process with F8?
    What is the last function that responds?
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    I can get into the NAV debugger by pressing F8, yes. What exactly do you need to know? The current position marker (the yellow arrow) is in the "<Control1100531000> - OnPush()" function, but its content says PROTECTED.

What do I need to do?
    I see that the debugger also hides the function names so that will not work.

Maybe you have a huge amount of objects with the modify flag. Can you open the “Assign Modifications” form?

Maybe there is something wrong again with your zup file in combination with the C/Side Manager? Please set the following options in the setup and try to transport again.
    "Compile Objects Before Transport" = No
    "Include TXT-Objects in Transport" = No
    "Save C/AL After Transport" = No
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    I have changed only about a dozen or so objects, even on the laptop I'm using I would hardly consider that 'huge' ;) Besides, I can open the "Assign Modifications" form, yes.

By the way, after trying to perform a transport, going to the options results in an informational message saying The option "Skip SQL Trigger" was enabled. This is corrected.

If of the three options you mentioned I *only* disable "Compile Objects Before Transport", I'll get to the progress screen, but it'll still hang, though later than before, at 100% of "Creating FIB file...", and I'll still get the "Skip SQL Trigger" message next time I go to OM Setup.

If I additionally disable "Include TXT-Objects in Transport" it'll hang even later, at 0% of "Updating C/AL history..." of Table 280 Extended Text Line.

If I disable all three, the transport finishes fine.
    Then I think it is the same issue as you had a couple of weeks ago. You probably opened an older version of NAV with same zup file. After that it is sometimes not possible to export tables in text format in NAV2009 SP1.
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36815

Best is to open NAV with a specific id. Then it uses its own zup file.
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe" id=2009sp1

Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    I just started NAV with an id (some random number), and I got the Navigation Pane tooltip as well, but the problem persists.
    Can you export Table 280 Extended Text Line from the object designer in text format?
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Yes, I can.
    It seems that your system freezes as soon as it uses the object manager dll’s. But strangely it did work two weeks ago.

May I look into you system with TeamViewer? If so, please send me a session id and password by mail. rmolenaar at idyn dot nl.
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Hello Reijer,

I will have to check whether I may grant you access to my system. I will do that. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation until the end of the week, so we will have to postpone this until next week.

As always, thank you for your help, you're doing an incredible support job.

arne
    Ok, send me an email next week if it's allowed.

Enjoy your vacation!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Would it be possible to add Field No. into Translation Tool Line (filled for Records of Type Field)? That would be appreciated because you could see in a direct way if it is an individual field and you could filter on it.
    Good idea.
    I will add that in the next release.
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    I do have some further questions to Translation Tool.

1. What does Type Miscelaneous mean?
    2. Why are there some records that don't have any Object Type? Object Type seems to be empty although there is no empty Option available.
    3. Why does switch to another language take so much time? Wouldn't it be better to store all available languages into the table by adding a field "Language ID"? In this case if you switch to another language you'll only have to filter the records of the table.
    4. How can I copy all captions from one language to another? E.g. I entered all captions for French (France) and now I want to copy all to French (Switzerland) as there are only slight differences.
  • zeonzeon Member Posts: 130
    I have been using the Object Manager Light for four month and I am very pleased with the product. After you have released version 6.01 with Integrated Source Control with TFS I might be interested in purchasing the product.

Is it possible in any way to try out the advanced version before buying it? I'd like to see if the repository feature works well and to see if it suits our requirements. I have downloaded the manual to get an insight into what it can do, but to try it out would be important before commiting to buy the advanced version.

/zeon
    I do have some further questions to Translation Tool.

1. What does Type Miscelaneous mean?
    2. Why are there some records that don't have any Object Type? Object Type seems to be empty although there is no empty Option available.
    3. Why does switch to another language take so much time? Wouldn't it be better to store all available languages into the table by adding a field "Language ID"? In this case if you switch to another language you'll only have to filter the records of the table.
    4. How can I copy all captions from one language to another? E.g. I entered all captions for French (France) and now I want to copy all to French (Switzerland) as there are only slight differences.

1. All types that does not fit in one of the others.
    2. Are this translations of the object type page? This should have been fixed in version 6.01...
    3. Yep, if it had worked like this it would work a lot faster. I did not think of this when I designed it.
    4. That is not possible at this time. I will add this in version 7.01. Thanks!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    zeon wrote:
    I have been using the Object Manager Light for four month and I am very pleased with the product. After you have released version 6.01 with Integrated Source Control with TFS I might be interested in purchasing the product.

Is it possible in any way to try out the advanced version before buying it? I'd like to see if the repository feature works well and to see if it suits our requirements. I have downloaded the manual to get an insight into what it can do, but to try it out would be important before commiting to buy the advanced version.

/zeon

Hi Zeon,

I will ask a colleague if you can get a demo.

Regards,
    Reijer
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    arne_klein wrote:
    Hello Reijer,

I will have to check whether I may grant you access to my system. I will do that. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation until the end of the week, so we will have to postpone this until next week.

As always, thank you for your help, you're doing an incredible support job.

arne

Hi Arne,

We have found a bug in the automation control that probably is the reason of your problems.
    We will release a new version begin next week.

Regards,
    Reijer
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    1. All types that does not fit in one of the others.
    Could you please give me an example?
    2. Are this translations of the object type page? This should have been fixed in version 6.01...
    Yes, it looks like that these are all Pages. Hmm, I thought I was using 6.01.... anyway, for me that's not a problem because we don't use Pages at the moment. I will filter on all other Object Types.
    3. Yep, if it had worked like this it would work a lot faster. I did not think of this when I designed it.
    Are you planning to change it in future version? Celerity of switch to another language is really annoying.
    4. That is not possible at this time. I will add this in version 7.01. Thanks!
    Ok, I'm looking forward to future updates. :D
    At the moment we solved this in the following way:
    1. Create a new local database and import all your objects.
    2. Export and delete all languages (Tools -> Language Module -> Export -> tick "Delete Language") except the one you want to copy.
    3. Export all languages by Tools -> Translate -> Export (this file contains only one language, namely the one you want to copy)
    4. Replace all terms of the language code by the language code of the new language. For normal the language code is formatted in this way:
    -Axxxx- where xxxx is the ID of the Windows Language. E.g. if you want to copy FRA French (France) to FRS French (Switzerland) then you have to replace all occurrences of -A1036- by -A4108-.
    5. Save the language file.
    6. Import the language file (Tools -> Translate -> Import) into your local database. You could also import it into your real database but all Objects will be compiled and Date/Time of the Objects will be set to the current point in time. That may corrupt your development environment.
    7. Export the new language to a new .flm file by Tools -> Language Module -> Export.
    8. Import this .flm file into your real database and be happy. :wink:

Btw: Great tool and great job, Reijer. We purchased the advanced version and we feel very happy with it. There are some small things that could be improved but positive things prevail.
    Could you please give me an example?
    Types that were not present the time the tool was created. A current example is RequestPage. But who knows what will be added in NAV7...
    Are you planning to change it in future version? Celerity of switch to another language is really annoying.
    Yes, I will. The longer I think about it the better it is! :)
    There are some small things that could be improved
    I would like to hear them...
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    You could also import it into your real database but all Objects will be compiled and Date/Time of the Objects will be set to the current point in time.

I had the same problem so I made functionality for this.
    When you first export your objects in OBJ format you can later import only the time and date properties of this OBJ-File.
    You can do this by using the menuoption "Import Properties" in the "Objects Import Worksheet".
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    You could also import it into your real database but all Objects will be compiled and Date/Time of the Objects will be set to the current point in time.

I had the same problem so I made functionality for this.
    When you first export your objects in OBJ format you can later import only the time and date properties of this OBJ-File.
    You can do this by using the menuoption "Import Properties" in the "Objects Import Worksheet".

Excellent, good to know.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Object Manager Advanced v6.03
    The Object Manager - an outstanding toolkit for developers and consultants.

Keep track of the NAV objects you change and update the version list when you are done. Combine all modifications in a transport and use the wizard to import them into your live database. It boasts some useful utilities such as where-used functionality, renumber objects, update variables, check guidelines and a translation tool.

Using Object Manager means better co-operation, higher quality, lower cost and more satisfied customers.

With the Object Manager, time-consuming error and conflict resolution is relegated to the past. Errors and conflicts simply don't occur. As a result, your work is of far higher quality and completed sooner. You will find that much less testing is required and that you no longer need to switch back and forth between development and live database. In other words, you can work at a lower cost. And the final result? More satisfied customers, opening the door to opportunities for new business.

What's New in v6.03
    - Bugfixes!

What's New in v6.02
    - Test Framework!
    - Bugfixes!

What's New in v6.01
    - Check Transferfields! (video)
    - Repository: Integrate Source Control with VSS, TFS or SVN!
    - New Improved Locking Mechanism!
    - Pick Color Form!

What's New in v5.01
    - Check Guidelines Tool!
    - Check Coding and GUI standards!
    - Auto Indent C/AL Code!
    - Auto Format C/AL Code!
    - Easily Replace Old FIND Statements!
    - And 40 other checks to improve the quality of your development!

What's New in v4.01
    - Renumber Fields!
    - Save objects in old NAV formats (Downgrade to 5.0, 4.0, 3.6)!
    - Trace modifications with SQL trigger!
    - Analyse Table Relations!
    - Backup / Restore!
    - Compress C/AL History!
    - FOB for each NAV version!

What's New in v3.01
    - Documentation!
    - Renumber Objects!
    - Delete Unused Variables!
    - Sort Variables!
    - Translation Tool!
    - Client Monitor Analyzer!
    - License Checker!
    - Bitmap Overview!

What's New in v2.01
    - Where-Used Functionality!
    - Automatic C/AL code saving when objects are changed!

Trace Modifications
    Modifications on objects can be traced. You assign them to a project. Projects are combined in a transport and imported in your customer database.
    Demo Video: Trace Modifications in Popup Mode
    Demo Video: Trace Modifications in Save Mode

Locking of Objects
    You can lock objects (checkout objects) so your colleague developers can see that you are working on a particular object.
    Demo Video: Object Locking

Transport objects to your customer database
    A new generation FOB named FIB is used to transport objects to your customer database. It can include master data, actions for data manipulation, permissions and more. You import this FIB in your customer database with a wizard. Before importing the FIB you will be warned if your customer has changed one or more objects by itself.
    Demo Video: Create Transport
    Demo Video: Import Transport in Customer Database
    Demo Video: Transport With Action
    Demo Video: Import Transport With Action in Customer Database

Action Worksheet
    90% of your conversion reports are becoming obsolete cause to the Action Worksheet. You can easily create actions like empty fields, copy data and even transfer data between databases. Other examples of actions are "Run report", "Run codeunit", etc. Actions can be included in your transport so they are also executed in your customer database.
    Demo Video: Action Worksheet

Version and Source Control
    Your source code can be saved automatically every time you make a change. This makes it possible to do a rollback or compare your code to a previous version. Changes can be analysed in e.g. Beyond Compare.
    Demo Video: Source Control

Repository
    With the repository module you can use an external source base. Simply check-out an check-in objects from the repository. This makes it possible to develop in separated databases at the same time. Integration with Visual SourceSafe, Team Foundation Server and Subversion is possible.

Record Permission Wizard
    It is possible to record permissions with a wizard. Simply start the wizard, do all the things your customer has to execute and the wizard creates a role. This permissions can be included in a transport and automatically imported in your customer database.
    Demo Video: Record Permission Wizard

Where-Used Functionality
    Find out where objects, keys, triggers, fields, functions etc are used. Easily track down unused variables, keys and fields.
    Demo Video: Where Used Functionality

Check Guidelines Tool
    Check if your development meets the coding and GUI standards. Auto indent your C/AL code. Auto apply most coding guidelines and standards. Easily track down where the old FIND statement is used and replace them with the new statements.
    Demo Video: Check Guidelines Tool

Check Transferfields
    Check if your database has conflicting fields which will cause the TRANSFERFIELDS command to fail.
    Demo Video: Check Transferfields

Renumber Objects
    Renumber objects directly in your database. Exporting and importing a text file is no longer needed. All references to these objects will also be updated.
    Demo Video: Renumber Objects

Renumber Fields
    Renumber fields directly in your database. Emptying your tables and ex- and importing a text file is no longer needed. All references to these fields will also be updated.
    Demo Video: Renumber Fields

Update Variables
    Sort and delete unused variables. Objects will be updated directly in your database.
    Demo Video: Sort Variables
    Demo Video: Delete Unused Variables

Translation Tool
    Change easily the names and captions that are used in your objects.
    Demo Video: Translation Tool

Client Monitor Analyzer
    Show the client monitor data in a datagrid and zoom in to the executed code.
    Demo Video: Client Monitor Analyzer

Edit Table Data
    Change your data without validation.
    Demo Video: Edit Table Data

Get the advanced version at http://www.idyn.nl/products/objectmanageradvanced.aspx

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=826

Discuss this download here.