Moved topics

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
edited 2009-11-02 in Feedback
I'd like to suggest that when topics are moved, to leave out the message "topic moved from A to B". The message doesn't add anything to the topic, and bumped topics that we're done talking about are a bit annoying in my opinion. Some days most of the 'new posts' are these move messages.

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I can ask the Moderator if he can send a PM to the poster of the topic instead, to notify him of the move. Otherwise, without message, the original poster doesn't know that he has posted it in the wrong forum, and will do it again the next time.

@kriki: is this a valuable option for you?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    And neither the persons who follow up on the posts.

How about this?:
    If the topic is 'fresh' (= last post date is a few days old) , I create a post that I moved it.
    If the topic is 'old', I send nothing. Not even a PM because I noticed that a lot of pm's remain in my outbox (=the receiver didn't even open the PM).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    In my experience it doesn't make a damn bit of difference whether you tell the OP that the topic was moved, they post wherever they want anyway. I've done that many times as a moderator and the same people keep posting in the wrong forums. If they continue to do it I send them a PM to be more careful where they post, and I guess if it becomes a big problem a ban might be in order, although it's a big measure to ban someone for posting in the wrong forum. Other than that I just move topics when I notice one in a wrong forum.

Those who don't look at which forum they post one day will not change their habits just because there's a reply saying that it was moved. To me those posts add no value at all, in fact it only creates clutter, but that's just my opinion of course :mrgreen:
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    After some "to busy at work to think about this", some thinking about it, some experimenting, we decided that if the topic is new (today or yesterday), I create a reply-post.
    If the topic is older, I just send a PM to the topic-poster that I moved the topic.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kriki wrote:
    After some "to busy at work to think about this", some thinking about it, some experimenting, we decided that if the topic is new (today or yesterday), I create a reply-post.
    If the topic is older, I just send a PM to the topic-poster that I moved the topic.

Thats a good decision :thumbsup:
    David Singleton