msxml6.dll error SelectSingleNode Failed

stormdelverstormdelver Member Posts: 3
We are running NAV 5.0 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2 with SQL Server 2005 SP2, whenever we go to try and import data from Administration>Application Setup>company setup>Data Migration we receive an xml error:

This Message is for C/AL programmers:

The Call to member selectSingleNode failed. msxml6.dll returned the following message:
expression must evaluate to a node-set.

<--

We have ran this by our NAV partner but they have not been able to determine the cause. This occurs for importing ITEMS, and occures for XML imports or XLS imports.

We can export to either format just fine but we cannot import.

We generated test export XML files from ITEMS using the XML export but cannot import the same file back- so its not our coding the file incorrectly and the import of the xls file acts the same way. Any help would be great- I had found a code fix but we added it and it did not resolve the issue:

https://community.dynamics.com/blogs/na ... 10033.aspx

in case anyone is interested, thanks

Comments

• vasilis6669vasilis6669 Member Posts: 109
    Hi,

I have the same problem with vession 6.0 Nav 2009 when importing items.

it looks like there is an HTML comment <-- left in the dll.

Any solution to this?

Regards,
    Vasilis
  • stormdelverstormdelver Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately no solution- have been through two partners with this, all I can tell you is that it *seems* related to file size, if you break for file into small chunks it seems to work (import), but its sall- less than 1000 lines- maybe as few as 100 lines. It is not limited to XML- the same error effects XLS as well.

I have tried uninstalling msxml6, installing 5, that was worse, 4 was also a no-go. Tried this on server and on workstations- I did find some code that looked promising but that did not work either. I have to assume at this point that either very few experience this issue or there is just no solution.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 999
    NOt really my area , but have you looked at the same code changes for 2009 and looked and XML 6 Sp2 + releases i remember there was a fix for the XML itself.

Try this link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Nav 5.0 and higher uses MSXML 6.0 So the above link isn't the issue.

I suggest to get a hold of 2009 sp1, they've done many fixes in many areas and it also includes the RIM import toolkit.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • littlehobolittlehobo Member Posts: 6
    We had the exactly same error message today.

It turns out, in table 8613 Migration Table Field, one of the fieldnames from the table to import was blank.
    I had no idea how did it happen, but as soon as I correct it, excel import worked.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but one of the causes of the error message.
  • AdunAdun Member Posts: 19
    littlehobo wrote:
    We had the exactly same error message today.

It turns out, in table 8613 Migration Table Field, one of the fieldnames from the table to import was blank.
    I had no idea how did it happen, but as soon as I correct it, excel import worked.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but one of the causes of the error message.

This decision worked fine for me as well, thanks.

It turned out that a local update has removed several fields in the source table, while Migration Data Field was keeping those fields.
  • gobackgoback Member Posts: 2
    This worked for me;

Export all selected migration fields to Excel
    Remove and Add the table from Migration Overview

Reselect all wanted migration fields to include