NAV 5SP1 Very Slow on SQL Server 2008

KimKim Member Posts: 85
edited 2010-09-02 in SQL Performance
Hi guyz;
I don't know whether anyone has experienced this problem. We have implemented NAV5SP1 running on SQL 2008 to one of our
clients and the system has become very slow 1 year down the line.
We have implemented Financials,Sale & Marketing, Purchases, Warehouse, Manufacturing, Inventory
Management and Human Resources.
Retrieving any of the inventory reports has also become a major challenge.
Am wondering how we can improve the speed since we have tried to optimize sql and also ensuring the transaction log file does not grow that much and there appears to be no change.

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    The size of the transaction log has nothing to do with the responsiveness of any app. What matters on the server side is the size of tables, number of indexes (keys) and quantity of transactions (any).
    What matters on the client side (NAV) is the quantity of modifications made and their quality.

In your case my guess would be that the DB has grown over the year and your keys/indexes are not set up or used according to data query needs.

You should consult a nav/sql pro to look into your case.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'SQL Performance' forum]

Search this forum for some ideas.

To start : do you do a regular rebuild index?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Kim wrote:
    Hi guyz;
    I don't know whether anyone has experienced this problem. We have implemented NAV5SP1 running on SQL 2008 to one of our
    clients and the system has become very slow 1 year down the line.
    We have implemented Financials,Sale & Marketing, Purchases, Warehouse, Manufacturing, Inventory
    Management and Human Resources.
    Retrieving any of the inventory reports has also become a major challenge.
    Am wondering how we can improve the speed since we have tried to optimize sql and also ensuring the transaction log file does not grow that much and there appears to be no change.

You can download SQL optimization manual on the Partnersource site. It has a lot of helpful ways to increase performance.