Running Large VLE

ryanatworkryanatwork Member Posts: 47
edited 2010-09-15 in SQL Performance
Hi All,

I don't believe that there is a solution to this but would like to ask the question anyway.

I have a customer that has a huge VLE that they would like to run from the object designer and then filter on the data to look for certain records. This simply hangs the system.

I have just done a tech upgrade from 4 SP1 to 2009 SP1

Any ideas ?

The solution that I have here is to drop a Form with a few fields for filters over the table and then allow the customer to search it that way.

Thanks for your time.
R

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Why do they want to run it from Object Designer? Object Designer is not an end user tool. It's a developer tool. Whenever a customer feels they need to run something from Object Designer, that should be a huge flag that there's something missing. Either in terms of system business process design or user training.

What do you consider huge?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ryanatworkryanatwork Member Posts: 47
    Cannot remember the exact number of records. The size is somewhere around 5GB - total database size is +- 100GB.

(from memory) on another VPN now so I can't check
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    One site I work with has 80 million VLE records (and growing). DB is north of 300 GB.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ShedmanShedman Member Posts: 194
    Is there an appropriate key selected for the fields they are filtering on? Or does running the table already hang the system.

Probably the best option you have is to create a form that is sorted by their most used key by default. And tell them to select the right key before filtering on some other field.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    ryanatwork wrote:
    The solution that I have here is to drop a Form with a few fields for filters over the table and then allow the customer to search it that way.

Instead of doing that consider implementing a BI system that queries the data in its own tables. You don't want to clog up the NAV table with queries while others try to post purchase invoices. Try BI4Dynamics its cheap and simple to implement.