SQL Server 2008 R2- setup cd and license after migration NAV

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
edited 2012-01-23 in SQL General
Hello,

we have a customer running NAV 5.0 on a server Windows 2003 Server and SQL 2005 having bought the SQL granules.

Now we are migrating all infrastructure in a VM environment and a server Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) and SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit.
I ask you the best version of SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit, where to obtain it and if product keys are asked during setup.

Thank you

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    andy76 wrote:
    ...the best version of SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit...

I think you meant Edition? In that case , the edition whose features best fit your needs adn budget.
    andy76 wrote:
    ...where to obtain it...

An authorized reseller.
    andy76 wrote:
    ...if product keys are asked during setup...

Yes
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    We are a Microsoft partner and reseller and were until some months ago also Dynamics NAV partner.
    I ask you how to obtain the setup of SQL 2008 R2 and license key having the customer bought the NAV SQL Runtime granule at the beginning of the project about 4 years ago.
    They do not need to puchase other licenses.

Thank you
    OK. Now you've better explained your question. They should be able to get that information from their current Dynamics NAV partner of record.
    I don't understand exactly what you mean.
    Does the customer have to ask to Microsoft the setup/product key or how to download it?
    And if they don't have the access to Customer Portal?
    Access to licening is thru a client's Dynamics NAV partner. Since you state that you are no longer a Dynamics NAV partner, that means you are no longer 'your' client's Dynamics NAV partner. They need to find out who their new Dynamics NAV partner is, or get assigned to one. Then contact them for the information they need.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    andy76 wrote:
    We are a Microsoft partner and reseller and were until some months ago also Dynamics NAV partner. I ask you how to obtain the setup of SQL 2008 R2 and license key having the customer bought the NAV SQL Runtime granule at the beginning of the project about 4 years ago.
    I assume that you/your company sold the SQL runtime to that customer? If that's so you should have obtained the SQL runtime licenses from MS in a similar way you obtained the NAV license granules.
    Yes, I had these things but don't remember how and was an older version of SQL (2005) not 2008 R2 64 bit.
    I don't remember if any general official setup downloaded / had by Microsoft (not for NAV and not for this customer) is good for this operation or it is necessary a dedicated one.
    I could use the product keys from old server if requested?
    It is not clear.
    andy76 wrote:
    Yes, I had these things but don't remember how and was an older version of SQL (2005) not 2008 R2 64 bit.
    I don't remember if any general official setup downloaded / had by Microsoft (not for NAV and not for this customer) is good for this operation or it is necessary a dedicated one.
    I could use the product keys from old server if requested?
    It is not clear.

Whether you can upgrade that runtim license will depend on if their NAV is on active maintenance. The NAV maintenance covers the runtime SQL supplied with the system. if not, then they will need to purchase a new SQL license. Or bring NAV maintenance up to date.

I don't believe a product key for 2005 will work for 2008. But I'm not sure here. To be honest, I never really use the runtime SQL. I find its licensing too limited for our typical client.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    andy76 wrote:
    ...having the customer bought the NAV SQL Runtime granule at the beginning of the project about 4 years ago.
    They do not need to puchase other licenses....

Andy this is the core issue here. The Run time version. This is a very limited license, and very difficult if not impossible to upgrade. I am guessing that you were the partner then and sold it. The licensing for this is generally handled through the NAV channel, not the SQL channel. Sometimes it is not even possible to upgrade form 32 to 64 bit. And if it is allowed you generally need to get a special install CD that has the license embedded so you don't actually type it in.

My advise is to NEVER use the run time SQL and simply pay for a full version of SQL, in 95% of cases standard edition is sufficient, but do check in case there is a need for Enterprise. I can tell you that every client I have ever worked with that purchased the Run Time license eventually purchased a full Standard version.

Run Time will be useful once the Native database is gone for LS Retail stores, where the need is minimal, but not sure how that will work since the POS doesn't run in RTC anyway.

<edit> sorry for cross posting (over rhpnt and bbrown), I had the window open a while before submitting :oops:
    David Singleton
    See my reply on this post for the limitations: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43353&hilit=runtime+SQL
    I discover now that the customer already received the cd of SQL 2008 R2 by Microsoft in May 2011...

Thank you
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    andy76 wrote:
    the customer already received the cd of SQL 2008 R2 by Microsoft in May 2011...Thank you
    That does not necessarily mean they have a license for it though. You can buy cd's with all sorts of software from CDW for $25 a piece, and you would need to purchase the license from your MSFT reseller.
    The dvd has been sent directly by Microsoft without customer request as un update of their actual version (SQL 2005).
    They bought only SQL granule at the beginning (> 4 years ago)
    I hope it is correct.
    The fact that MS send them the CD tells me that they were likely on active maintenance at that time. And therefore have a valid license. But, of course, we can only guess at this. Only their NAV partner or MS can provide the definitive answers.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The point still is: just because they have a disk to install the product does NOT mean they automatically have a license for it.

The partner of record should know what the customer is licensed for. If that's not the case they should investigate with MSFT to make sure. If you are not the partner of record, you need to let them handle it.