RDP vs Client Performance NAV2009R2 with SQL

bertoosbertoos Member Posts: 19
edited 2012-04-23 in SQL Performance
Hi All,
I am by no means an expert in performance on NAV and SQL but I have been working with NAV long enough to have a “feel” for how it should perform.
We are encountering a very strange situation and I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this or have some experience in this.

When using Remote Desktop to the Server and performing 3 different tasks these are the speed results:
Action 1: 2 Seconds.
Action 2: 6 Seconds.
Action 3: 4 Seconds.

However, Connecting to the server via the client on the local machine and performing the same 3 actions, these are the results:
Action 1: 12 seconds.
Action 2: 92 seconds.
Action 3: 18 seconds.

It makes no difference selecting DEFAULT, TCP/IP, or Named Pipes from the client logon screen.
Network performance testing shows no issues and copying a 1 Gig file to the server from the client take as long as expected.
Any Ideas why this might be happening?

Some STATS:
Running NAV 2009 R2 Classic client (No 3tier)
Server is Windows 2008 latest service pack
SQL is SQL server 2008 (Latest service pack)
1Gigabit network

Looking forward to any ideas or suggestions.
Regards,
Bert
Bert

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Your description only makes sense when the terminal server is on the same server as SQL server and when your actions (especially the 2nd one) include large amounts of data. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Check that NAV Client Build No. on Server and Client are identical. Then also check the object cache setting in both scenarios.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    When using Remote Desktop to the Server and performing 3 different tasks these are the speed results:
    So you are running RDP on a PC and connecting to the server?

However, Connecting to the server via the client on the local machine and performing the same 3 actions, these are the results:
    This is not clear to me. Are you using the local console on the server?
  • bertoosbertoos Member Posts: 19
    Thx for all the responses...

OK, so by RDP I mean. From the clients computer, open up a remote desktop session to the Server running the NAV SQL Server. Then from that Desktop, start the client (Classic client with SQL server) and access database as per normal.

The Other scenario is the normal connection you would normally do... i.e. From the clients machine, open the NAV Classic client with SQL Server. Connect to the server and execute the actions.

So yes, I know with the Remote Desktop, I am using the Server resources for the client actions where as with the normal connection I am using the Client machine resources (For buffers etc..)

Action 2 is inserting 100 records...

The thing is, I don't understand why it is so much slower via the client machine than via a client on the server when remote desktop to the server.) The difference is just to big for 100 insertions.

Regards,
    Bert
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    bertoos wrote:
    Action 2 is inserting 100 records...
    The thing is, I don't understand why it is so much slower via the client machine than via a client on the server when remote desktop to the server.) The difference is just to big for 100 insertions
    Yes and no. It depends: How are the records inserted (dataport, xmlport, CAL code,...)? How many fields are included? Is there a lot of validating going on?... What about the "usual" NAV functionality (item/customer list, posting routines,...) - are there such big differences too?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) When running on TS - in common the TS server is connected with SQL server by backbone nework, which could be 1Gb or 10Gb, but mostly the PC is connected with 100Mb line...
    2) If you are using dialog to show the progress, each update of the dialog needs to be transfered over LAN and the process in C/AL is waiting during this. RDP could cache the screen updates and thus not wait so long.
    3) Regarding the dialog - best is to try toupdate the dialog only once per second or not to use during the tests.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jahma48jahma48 Member Posts: 2
    edited 2018-09-11
    It's understandable why perfomance on Remote Desktop Server is better than on local client, it must be so, as I unserstand.

But we have a REVERSE SITUATION, how about this?
    For a long time it was ok, but now we encountered with the situation, when the same actions take more time using Terminal Server, unlikely local client.

Even when users work in the office connecting by LAN-cord. Both SQL and Terminal Server are on Failover Cluster w/ 1Gb switch between nodes.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    Some guesses:
    -virtualized server: maybe hardware changed and it is not on high performance but on battery saving.
    -Something new installed on the server that is eating resources.
    -overprovisioning. too many users on 1 server. or too many VM's on the physical server.
    -problem on the network between terminal server and SQL Server.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jahma48jahma48 Member Posts: 2
    Our 3rd party NAV suuport helped to solve the problem.
    Thanks for guesses, but all of them are not appropriate to our situation.
    They suggest, that local NAV 2009 R2 Classic (with SQL) Client from workstation uses cached ACLs and doesn't query AD so frequent. But, on RDS (we call terminal server such) NAV before evrey single action NAV queries AD for permissions - that's why we were constantly seeing "Поиск по таблице Контроль доступа Windows" - approx. "Searching in Windows Access Control table".

They help us. Now NAV on RDS queries ACLs once, when client starts.

Hope, my english is sufficient to understand me correctly :)
  • sjc01234sjc01234 Member Posts: 11
    jahma48 wrote: »
    They suggest, that local NAV 2009 R2 Classic (with SQL) Client from workstation uses cached ACLs and doesn't query AD so frequent. Now NAV on RDS queries ACLs once, when client starts.

Interesting... how is this implemented? (generally speaking...)