NAV limitation in concurrent user

RickrisRickris Member Posts: 21
I found this info

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... ityContent

Maximum number of concurrent users
(the actual limit depends on your hardware and the workload) 500

Just want to know if this is applicable also if we use MSSQL as NAV database?

Thanks,

Rickris
NAV Developer since 2006

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    It is for SQL.
    The native DB has less scalability.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• RickrisRickris Member Posts: 21
    Hi kriki,

Thanks for the quick response, I don't get it your answer
    It is for SQL.
    The native DB has less scalability.

meaning for SQL database NAV max user will be 500 only?
    NAV Developer since 2006
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Rickris wrote:
    meaning for SQL database NAV max user will be 500 only?

Yes, "Only" 500 users maximum.
    What kind of project are you facing, because if there is a need for >500 concurrent users, then you might want to look at solutions scaled for large companies, like AX (or if you hate your customer: sap (this might be a bit biased)).

NAV is aimed at small to medium enterprises, the most implementations have <20 concurrent users, others go to about 100-200 maximum (with some exceptions)
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Of course, this "500 limit" is just number somehow created on some tests. Of course, you can have more users, but all depends on specific solution. Some solutions could be used with problems with few users like 20, and some solutions will not have problem with 900 users.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    And of course it depends also on what those 900 users do.
    If they are all 900 users entering sales lines at the rate of 1 line per second, you have a problem (=900 inserts in "Sales Line" per second). If they are all entering sales lines at the rate of 1 line per hour (=900 lines per hour=15 lines per minute) and for the rest they sleep , NAV can handle a lot more users.

It also depends on the number of companies. If you have only 1 company for those 900 users (at 1 line per second), you have a problem. If each of them is working in its own company, it is not a problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate all of that, I talked to one of MS evangelist for dynamics and they claimed that the largest installation of NAV is 1000+ concurrent user and it's currently in europe.

the industry is remittance(money transfer) and cargo..
    I have in mind that each branch will have treated as 1 company.

say I have 900 branches it means 900 company in 1 database, this will prevent me from locking issue right? ofcourse infra issue regarding network(bandwidth) and hardware.

in each branch there are 3 users. 3 * 900 = 2,700 concurrent users. the transaction will be sales and collections only on the site. main requirements is real time.

I want to seek your thoughts on this. Please help.

Thanks,

Rickris
    NAV Developer since 2006
    900 companies in one DB have another problems. Each company will include all tables from NAV, even they are empty. Each change in design of a table in NAV will need to change 900 tables on SQL, it will take time. Even backup this DB with many tables could be hard (900*around 1100 tables per company in W1 = nearly one million of tables...).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine,

Thanks for the inputs, I'll noted that. #-o #-o
    NAV Developer since 2006
    any other inputs? please help :cry:
    NAV Developer since 2006
  • pantula2000pantula2000 Member Posts: 11
    May be you can map each Branch as a "Responsibility Center" / "Location" and tag it to the respective users.

Regards,

Sridhar
    kine wrote:
    900 companies in one DB have another problems. Each company will include all tables from NAV, even they are empty. Each change in design of a table in NAV will need to change 900 tables on SQL, it will take time. Even backup this DB with many tables could be hard (900*around 1100 tables per company in W1 = nearly one million of tables...).
    Mark Brummels trick for that is to put DataPerCompany=FALSE for tables that are not used. That is a lot of work to do, but it also diminishes a lot the no. of tables in the DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Yes, but you must be sure what you are doing that the table will be restored to correct state when someone from one of the 900 companies will start using some new functionality, which was never used before...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.