DynamicsNAVProtocolHandler v1.1.2.0

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
edited 2013-12-03 in Download section
DynamicsNAVProtocolHandler v1.0.0.0
Installation: Copy to some folder of your choice, run, activate, close. Try to open some dynamicsnav hyperlink or run page from classic client.
Prerequisities: Microsoft .NET v4.5

Description:
This small app will install itself as dynamicsnav: protocol handler. This protocol is used to run the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe through hyperlinks. If the hyperlink is triggered by classic client (or development environment for NAV 2013), this app will take the path of the classic client and will try:
1) Find the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe in same folder. If found, run this clien to handle the URI.
2) Find Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe with same version as the calling finsql.exe in folders and subfolder recuresively, starting from ..\.. (parent of parent) folder from the calling classic client folder. This is based on expecting standard folder structure of installed clients.
3) If the hyperlink was not triggered by finsql.exe, default associated application is used to handle the protocol (the one, which was associated when this app was activated).

Reason:
When you install e.g. NAV 2013 side-by-side with NAV 2009, you can have problems to open e.g. pages from the different clients. Even when you have more builds of same version, you can have this problem, running the correct RTC build from the DevEnv. This app should solve that for you.

Have fun with the NAV!

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1443

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Newer version is downloadable from my blogs. The version 1.0.1.0 changes:
    - Added info bar showing the started client path. Could be disabled in .config file
    - Possibility to show dialog box with executed command. Could be enabled in .config file
    - Solved some problem when running NAV 2009 RTC when the RTC is already started (the client app crashed).

And additional info: when the handler is activated, NAV "Jump List" will not work on Windows 7/8.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Hello Kine, this sounds really like a great tool, great work!
    However is the requirement of .NET framework 4.5 really necesarry? This framework it is still in beta as far as I know.
    In my opinion it would be better to compile with a lower framework version if there is no technical requirement to use 4.5.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    janpieter wrote:
    Hello Kine, this sounds really like a great tool, great work!
    However is the requirement of .NET framework 4.5 really necesarry? This framework it is still in beta as far as I know.
    In my opinion it would be better to compile with a lower framework version if there is no technical requirement to use 4.5.

Of course, it is not necessary. It is just that I used the VS 11 to start the project and now I have problem to switching to 3.5 version of .NET because the references etc. I will try in free time to switch it again (I tried at night, but I reverted back).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Ok, I have find some time and changed the version. There were some issues, but solved in a minute. You can download newer version from my blogs.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks for the fast response, much better this way. We will give it a try.
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    Hi Kine,

Just tried the 1.0.2.0 version from your blog, but unfortunatly, it does not work. It always gives the error "Same version of RTC was not found". I do use long directorynames, and this client is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\6_0_32580_0_20120518112742\classic, while the RTC is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\6_0_32580_0_20120518112742\RoleTailored Client. There are several directories in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ with various versions, and I assumed it would be using method 2 from the txtfile to find the correct client. However, it's not working right now... If it would, this could be a great tool...
    And are you sure that the clients have SAME BUILD number?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    And are you sure that the clients have SAME BUILD number?
    Yes. In this case, they both have build 6.0.32580.0.But also other builds in other directories give the same problem... Could be something with the recursive filefind thingie?

One thing that seems strange: If I start the program to activate or deactivate, I must start it elevated. This isn't done when I try to start the client. Could that be a problem?

I've set ShowMessageBox to True, but it disappears to fast to be able to read anything
    The problem for elevation is that it is changing registry. When working just as handler, it is not changing them, only reading, thus no problem with elevation.

Jst now, I am trying to put the project to codeplex site and publish it for everyone. I expect that we will extend it together to create some cool tool for everyone...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    https://navprotocolhandler.codeplex.com/

There is the codeplex site for this. The application have slightly different name and versioning from the previous one, which was part of my bigger work.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Is the client exe named "Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" ? (e.g. may be problem of upper/lower case)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I think I found the solution to the problem of Poltergeist.
    I posted the solution to this issue on codeplex.
    Thanks, I have overlooked that. New version released.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    DynamicsNAVProtocolHandler v1.1.2.0
    Installation: Copy to some folder of your choice, run, activate, close. Try to open some dynamicsnav hyperlink or run page from classic client.
    Prerequisities: Microsoft .NET v3.5

Description:
    This small app will install itself as dynamicsnav: protocol handler. This protocol is used to run the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe through hyperlinks. If the hyperlink is triggered by classic client (or development environment for NAV 2013), this app will take the path of the classic client and will try:
    1) Find the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe in same folder. If found, run this clien to handle the URI.
    2) Find Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe with same version as the calling finsql.exe in folders and subfolder recuresively, starting from ..\.. (parent of parent) folder from the calling classic client folder. This is based on expecting standard folder structure of installed clients.
    3) If the hyperlink was triggered by finsql.exe, default associated application is used to hndle the protocol (the one, which was associated when this app was activated).

Reason:
    When you install e.g. NAV 2013 side-by-side with NAV 2009, you can have problems to open e.g. pages from the different clients. Even when you have more builds of same version, you can have this problem, running the correct RTC build from the DevEnv. This app should solve that for you.

http://navprotocolhandler.codeplex.com

Have fun with the NAV!

v1.1.2.0
    - Mappings added (mapping between SQL Server and DB and NAV Server and instance)
    - refactoring some things inside

v1.1.1.0
    - .NET v3.5 used

v1.0.1.0
    - Added info bar showing the started client path. Could be disabled in .config file
    - Possibility to show dialog box with executed command. Could be enabled in .config file
    - Solved some problem when running NAV 2009 RTC when the RTC is already started (the client app crashed).

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1443

Discuss this download here.
  • DanjoDanjo Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I'm using this App a lot for NAV2009 anv NAV2013 and never had any problems.
    But it seems that I cannot bring it to run with NAV2013R2.
    It opens the RTC only once. Afterwards I have to close the whole RTC(Win-Fat-Client) to get a second RUN from my Dev-Enviroment.

Did anybody solve this issue?

Thanks,
    Danjo
    Are you using the latest version from https://navprotocolhandler.codeplex.com/ ? I have just tested to run more pages in NAV 2013 R2 and it works without problems.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi,

I just downloaded the newest version and tried again.
    Versionnumber didn't change, but the Modifed-Date.
    Still no success.
    Toaster opens, nothing happens.
    If you disable the handler, is opening of pages from DevEnv working without issues for the NAV 2013 R2?

Try to set these values n the .config file for the Protocol handler:

ShowFileInfo=true
    ShowMessageBox=true
    DisableMapping=True
    AutoMapping=False
    CreateSettingsFile=False

Send me the result.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Ian_BachusIan_Bachus Member Posts: 21
    Hi Kine,

Thank you for building this tool. It works great and is VERY helpful when working with multiple NAV versions.

I have a quick question. Do you know if it will work in a terminal server environment? In other words, will it conflict with each other if there are more than one person logged into a terminal server simultaneously trying to run objects out of the object designer (in a mixture of NAV 2009 and NAV 2013) with the protocol handler running in each session? Would each user need to run the protocol handler?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Kine and Ian Bachus,

launching Pages w/o Handler does not work at all. So it looks like that I have some other problem here.

Running Handler on Terminal Server works perfect for us.
    Currently we use ~10 different Build-Version of NAV2009/R2 NAV2013/R2 and have between 3 and 8 Users in parallel (via remote desktop).

I just had to run the handler once (with Admin-Rights).
  • Ian_BachusIan_Bachus Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Danjo! That's what I wanted to know! \:D/
    Hi,

some update here:
    - Running NAV2013R2 Objects works with and without protocolhandler
    - Running NAV2013 Objects does not run anymore

Do I have to do some reconfiguration of ProtocoHandler for using both Versions in parallel?
    Is there somne Registry-Key-Trick I am missing?
    It's not a problem with the protocolhandler. If you don't use the protocolhandler, it still would not work, as the NAV2013 client still crashes. Check the applicationlog.
    Just learned from Microsoft that the issue is known, and will be solved soon.
  • TimSimmondsTimSimmonds Member Posts: 47
    Hi,

We're running Nav2009 Classic Client, Nav2009 RTC and Nav2016 in the same Citrix environment and could have emails with hyperlinks to each database type.

Nav2009 CC hyperlinks appear to open ok as it's using "navision" as the protocol class...but the RTCs use the same "dynamicsnav" protocol class.

We thought we could use this app to open up the relevant RTC client from a hyperlink. We're not having much luck though. I've tried to enter mapping details with the version no. 60 or 90...but all i see is a dialog flash up (something like "searching for....") and then nothing happens.

Should what we are trying to do be achievable with this app?

Thanks in advance,
    - Tim