NAV 2009 and NAV 2013 development on same machine?

dlerouxdleroux Member Posts: 87
edited 2012-06-18 in NAV Three Tier
Perhaps it is just my inability to formulate a decent search string, but does anyone know if it is possible to set up a development environment that can handle NAV 2013 as well as earlier (2009) versions? The thing which has me sytmied is the RDLC changes that require NAV 2013 to use VS 2010 while NAV2009 report design is broken by this version of Visual Studio. I'm under the impression that Visual Studio will not allow multiple versions to be installed at the same time.

Other than going to a virtual PC environment, has MSFT addressed this issue? If not, it will surely cause many a headache for developers that must support clients running earlier versions as well as new clients and upgrade clients.

Thanks

Answers

• mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    dleroux wrote:
    I'm under the impression that Visual Studio will not allow multiple versions to be installed at the same time.
    This is not true..
    I am having both VS2008 and VS2010 installed in my machine..and also NAV2009R2 and NAV2013Beta..
  • dlerouxdleroux Member Posts: 87
    [quote="mohana_cse06This is not true..
    I am having both VS2008 and VS2010 installed in my machine..and also NAV2009R2 and NAV2013Beta..[/quote]

And you are able to do report design for both versions of NAV? If so, great and my problem is entirely a product of my imagination. :oops:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, I have VS 2008, 2010 and 2013beta and it is working without problem. Reporting is the least of the problems. Bigger is dynamicsnav protocol association, which is used when running Pages from designer or using URLs to open NAV in RTC. You need to run NAV 2009 when starting page from NAV 2009 classic, but NAV 2013 Win Client if running from NAV 2013 DevEnv.

You can look at this.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • dlerouxdleroux Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for that link. I've already hit the protocol issue as we have clients on both 2009Sp1 and 2009R2.