New Licensing changes nav 2013

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
Anybody saw the new licensing changes for nav 2013. It looks like there are two user types Full and limited. And the limited user has restriction on writes to 3 tables, excluding gl. if you are posting to gl you need full license user. Light User is gone but if you upgrade it turns into limited user. And limited user is twice as expensive as light users. There is no info if you purchased the unlimited external users. So if you have an interface with website you need full user license. The tables are expensive as always.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... g.htm?p=13

This is going to suck.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Light User is gone but if you upgrade it turns into limited user
    I am not sure with this. If you read the DynamicsERPPerpetualLicensingGuideDraft20120711_2.pdf, you will find this:
    For each named Light User license, customers will receive one concurrent Full User license.

But in MicrosoftDynamicsPerpetualTransitionUpgradePolicy20120711_5.pdf appendix A, there is something more complex for transforming the light users to concurrent users (Microsoft Confidential document, I cannot quote this part).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    generic wrote:
    Anybody saw the new licensing changes for nav 2013. It looks like there are two user types Full and limited. And the limited user has restriction on writes to 3 tables, excluding gl. if you are posting to gl you need full license user. Light User is gone but if you upgrade it turns into limited user. And limited user is twice as expensive as light users. There is no info if you purchased the unlimited external users. So if you have an interface with website you need full user license. The tables are expensive as always.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... g.htm?p=13

This is going to suck.

Just as my technical explanations are dudada for my customers. This license stuff is dudada to me :oops: . I read some of the documents from your link. Could you specify the document name where I can find this?

Am I correct in my conclusion (at this time) that if a new customer at this moment starts using NAV 2009 en has a BREP they cannot easily upgrade to 2013... There license first will have to be converted to a 2013 license which can result in extra payment to use the same functionality. (Im really guessing now..)
    I think no, They will get new license with same functionality with same number of users (LMT upgrade). Only customers buying license after the October 1, 2012 will need to go through the LCT upgrade.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    I was looking at figure 8 and it was for GP not for NAV. Thanks for the correction.
    I guess customers should be light users now which will turn to full users!!!!

There is still open question about external connector that customers have bought.
    Also since webservice is making multiple connection how does the licesing work for this?
    I think it is still not finished. E.g. in NAV 2013 beta version you can see User Type, where are types like Device, External etc. But this is not described nowhere...

Additional info is, that since last pricelist update, you can buy only Light user - Upgrade, which will be transfered to something else than Light user, you have bought before the change (previous one will be transformed to full user, this new - upgrade will be transformed with more complex rules). It is preventing current customers to buy Light Users now to have full users in future for lower price. It could not be done now...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks for setting this right :)
    generic wrote:
    Also since webservice is making multiple connection how does the licesing work for this?
    The licensing will change too for the new NAS.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    I looked at Appendix A and it looks like majority of light users are going to limited users.
    Hopefully they'll resolve the external connector issue, but I doubt it.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    generic wrote:
    I looked at Appendix A and it looks like majority of light users are going to limited users.
    Hopefully they'll resolve the external connector issue, but I doubt it.

Well that depends on what they do. If they are doing postings then "Limited User" may not apply
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.