Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Compatibility with NAV = YES

Joe_MathisJoe_Mathis Member Posts: 173
edited 2014-01-26 in SQL General
Is Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Compatible with NAV 2009R2 (or above) ?

Thanks.

Confirmed by MS :thumbsup:

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    It works but there is no ms official document
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Joe_MathisJoe_Mathis Member Posts: 173
    Thanks Ara3n!

Client is going to buy new SQL and I wasn't sure if it would work as I haven't installed it anywhere yet.

I'll get it installed and tested on my dev server sometime soon... :mrgreen:

I didn't' expect any issues, but you sometimes never know.

Will wait a little on the solved though...
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    As stated above, there is no official word on support from MS. I've been told that they intend to "fully" support it for NAV 2013. But I've not heard anythign concerning prior versions. So that's anyone's guess.

In terms of puchasign SQL, my recommendation would be to purchase the latest version (2012) but to be sure the license includes downgrade rights. Then you have the ability to swap back to an earlier version.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Thanks bbrown.

I know that you can use 2012 CALS on older versions, not too sure about downgrade of actual software though...
    Had not seen that anywhere before, only upgrade. But just because I haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :D
    Whether or not you have downgrade rights depends on your license. Not every classic product license comes with downgrade rights. Typically license purchased thru the retail channel do not. And many times OEM licenses don't either. They are typically only available thru licenses acquired under volume agreements. But this can vary. So read the license.
  • jemmyjemmy Member Posts: 247
    I won't make a rust by deploying SQL 2012 with Navision 2009 R2. You guys go ahead to try at customer 8)
  • msalvamsalva Member Posts: 4
    Hi everybody,

What about NAV 5 and SQL Server 2012?

I've been testing it in my test server and i did not find anything bad.

I've created new customers and contacts, new keys, new users, sync them to the database, and assign some roles. I've also tried to backup and restore the database, register some accounting and some orders shippings and invoices and until today everything works fine.

Could you suggest what else would be worth to try to find out any incompatibility?

Thanks

Miki
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Since NAV 5 is not supported except through extended support, I recommend you find out if extended support will include SQL Server 2012 and what executable and build level you need to be at.
  • Jens_M-PJens_M-P Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 39
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is supported on Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2.
    We posted the official support statement on the Dynamics NAV Team Blog and on Partner Source (I think it was July 13th) - so please refer to that for detailed information.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/2012/07/13/compatibility-update-with-microsoft-sql-server-2012.aspx
    Best regards,
    Jens Møller-Pedersen [MSFT]

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    I just saw the e-mail about it. Client is on it and everything is working as expected... will go back and change it to solved and maybe edit the subject.
  • smmurugansmmurugan Member Posts: 33
    Does it mean that I cannot user SQL Server 2012 with NAV 5.0 sp1?

I put a copy of NAV 5.0 SP1 databse in SQL Server 2012. When I try to access I get the following error :

"The trace flag 4616 is not set on the server ASW-TDB01. You must set this flag and restart the server before you can connect using Microsoft Dynamics NAV."

As per my inderstanding setting trace flag is not a requirement in newer versions of SQL server.

Can anyone confirmt that NAV 5.0 sp1 is compatiable with SQL Server 2012 ?

Thanks
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    It's not required in newer version of NAV. You still need to set it for older version of NAV.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • guiyoteguiyote Member Posts: 12
    Nav 5 work with SQL Server 2012, but first we have to set trace the flag 4616 in the sql instance.
    How to set trace it?
    Just, with the following script...

DBCC TRACEON (4616,-1)
    guiyote wrote:
    Nav 5 work with SQL Server 2012, but first we have to set trace the flag 4616 in the sql instance.
    How to set trace it?

DBCC TRACEON (4616,-1)

Don't forget to also set it as a startup parameter for SQL.
  • gurvesh23gurvesh23 Member Posts: 1
    bbrown wrote:
    guiyote wrote:
    How to set trace it?

DBCC TRACEON (4616,-1)

Don't forget to also set it as a startup parameter for SQL.

hi BBrown
    how does one go about setting up the parameters in SQL 2012
    we currently have a 2012 SQL cluster with NAV 2013 database setup
    we did not migrate our NAV 2009 database into 2013 but went for fresh a implementation of 2013 (3 Tier).
    so we have our 2009 server with local SQL and a new 2013 application server with an SQl 2012 cluster.
    i want to migrate into the 2012 SQL cluster but have a separate 2009 application server .
    thanks
    g